TechSpot

Dell 5520

By trevie666
Jan 5, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. My dell 5520 will not boot up bios revision A00 comes up

2. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,232   +201

Have you tried to update the BIOS or done anything recently to the computer? I once bought a replacement motherboard when the one in my desktop died. It was identical but had a more advanced version of BIOS. It wouldn't recognise the processor so I couldn't boot into Windows. Unless you can boot into Windows you can't change the BIOS version. The motherboard was useless in my computer.

Try booting into the BIOS and set it to default having made a note of the original settings. Look out in particular for the settings for the hard drive - ATA, AHCI etc and play around changing those.

3. trevie666

trevie666 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks but it won't let me access the bios

4. trevie666

Managed to get into bios still no luck

5. bazz2004

If the BIOS gets screwed up the motherboard is likely to be unusable. Unfortunately I can't advise you further on this one. I don't want to make things worse. It may be an easy fix and hopefully someone else will be able to help.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  6. trevie666

7. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Does the bios see the boot drive. If not the boot hard drive may be toast... and just that simple, a new hard drive will be needed

bazz2004 likes this.
  8. trevie666

Sees it but will not boot up from drive

9. bazz2004

It's possible to boot into Windows from a USB stick prepped with the OS. If it will recognise the stick and boot from it having changed the BIOS boot order you know the motherboard is OK. Sorry, but I've never done it so can't help with detail. Otherwise, maybe take a chance and try to reinstall Windows on the existing drive or a new one. If none of that works I think you need a new laptop.