Dell computer will not turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sort of befuddled as to why a friends computer will not turn on. There is a green light on the mobo indicating that there is power to the computer, but no luck starting up. I have replaced the power button switch on the front of the computer, checked all power connections to the power supply and motherboard, made sure the outlet was good, and am at a loss as what to check for. She says that there was not a storm before having this problem, but did tell me her daughter shut down the computer by just pushing the power button. I didn't think it was that much of a deal seeing as how the computer is 3 yrs old, but I could be wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dell computers have a nasty habit of "locking up" at times. sometimes unplugging the computer and letting it sit for 30 minutes then plugging it back in will solve the problem and sometimes you have to strip the components and add them piece by piece until you get it working again.

the process is to remove ALL components except the processor( including disconnnecting monitor, keyboard, mouse). plug in and power up shut down unplug, add memeory plugin and power up, unplug add hard drive plugin power up, power off, unplug, add video card( if there is one) power up at this point you should be able to tell if it is booting or not. (actually once you start getting beeps during the add component\power up process it should be able to boot once all components are reinstalled.

it is a pain in the rear but it is the process Dell tech support would lead you thru if you called them. ( I had to do it three times. with my 4 year old dell, once it locked up after I switched a optical drive.) oh yeah before i forget each time you shutdown during the adding component process, after you unplug hold in the power button for several seconds to drain any residual power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back