Dell D620 touchpad/track stick not functioning and not recognized

I have acquired a slightly used D620 however the touch-pad and track stick do not seem to be working at all. Neither of the buttons on the touch pad work either. My external USB mouse is functioning perfectly. I have reinstalled drivers from Dell Support, tried drivers from other models, and reinstalled Windows when I noticed the hardware manager wasn't even detecting the touch-pad at all. I also tried to change around the touch-pad options in the BIOS settings but nothing has led to success. My next step is to remove and reconnect the touch-pad and track stick/ keyboard. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks a bunch, in advance, for your help.

Solved

I opened up the laptop lifted the keyboard and noticed the poorly designed touchpad cable attachment system. It is so closely stuck to the palm rest/ keyboard boarder that it disconnects from the motherboard with the slightest lift of the palm rest. My guess that an inexperienced Geek Squad member probably cleaned out the unit and didn't bother to check for the attachment of the wire to the motherboard. Anyway, my problem is solved.

Back