TechSpot

Dell Dim 4700 Video Card/Computer Questions

By 1234567890
Jun 30, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. After 5 years of this piece of junk computer, I've finally decided to get a new one.
    My current specs are:
    Windows 98 SE
    700 and something processor
    128 MB RAM
    Integrated audio/video cards

This might have been brought up before, but I couldn't quite get the right answer to my questions:

First off, I decided that I'm getting a gaming PC. The specs are:
    3 ghz processor
    1 GB RAM
    SB Live! Audio Card
    256 MB PCI Express GeForce 6800 video card

So here's the questions I have about it:
    1. How well will it perform for games such as Doom 3/World of Warcraft/Unreal Tournament?
    2. I noticed that there are several GeForce 6800 cards (6800 refers to the product line if I understand correctly). How good is the video card included?
    3. I have an old monitor (5 years). It's fairly small, though it does its job. Should I buy a different monitor, and if so, which one?
    4. I read up on the 6800 video cards and I'm wondering about overclocking. I understand the idea behind it, but will I need to use this feature? Also, a few websites mentioned an automatic overclocking feature, but they recommened not using it (they didn't offer an explanation). Why shouldn't this feature be used?

Thanks for your help :)

EDIT:
    Also, I'm wondering if additional cooling is nessesary for the 4700. Should I get rid of the stock fan? If so, what should I buy (I'm willing to spend up to 200$)?

Thanks
  2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

Yes, that will be very good for the games listed.

Your monitor will be ok, if you want to keep it. Bigger is better though :). For gaming a crt is usually better(plus they're cheaper). To get a lcd that's excellent at gaming you're going to be spending a lot.

The 6800 is a good card, it's the lowest of the 6800 series, but a member of the highest series nv makes. It goes 6200/6600/6600gt/6800/6800gt/6800ultra, so it's high midrange.

Some 6800's can "unlock" and enable 4 more disabled pixel pipelines, which increases peformance.

I wouldn't mess with the dell if it's new, don't worry about cooling, if it overheats under warranty it isn't your problem.
  3. 1234567890

1234567890 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for your help. I think that covered everything :cool:
  4. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.