Dell Dim 4700 Video Card/Computer Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 5 years of this piece of junk computer, I've finally decided to get a new one.
My current specs are:
Windows 98 SE
700 and something processor
128 MB RAM
Integrated audio/video cards

This might have been brought up before, but I couldn't quite get the right answer to my questions:

First off, I decided that I'm getting a gaming PC. The specs are:
3 ghz processor
1 GB RAM
SB Live! Audio Card
256 MB PCI Express GeForce 6800 video card

So here's the questions I have about it:
1. How well will it perform for games such as Doom 3/World of Warcraft/Unreal Tournament?
2. I noticed that there are several GeForce 6800 cards (6800 refers to the product line if I understand correctly). How good is the video card included?
3. I have an old monitor (5 years). It's fairly small, though it does its job. Should I buy a different monitor, and if so, which one?
4. I read up on the 6800 video cards and I'm wondering about overclocking. I understand the idea behind it, but will I need to use this feature? Also, a few websites mentioned an automatic overclocking feature, but they recommened not using it (they didn't offer an explanation). Why shouldn't this feature be used?

Thanks for your help :)

EDIT:
Also, I'm wondering if additional cooling is nessesary for the 4700. Should I get rid of the stock fan? If so, what should I buy (I'm willing to spend up to 200$)?

Thanks

Yes, that will be very good for the games listed.

Your monitor will be ok, if you want to keep it. Bigger is better though :). For gaming a crt is usually better(plus they're cheaper). To get a lcd that's excellent at gaming you're going to be spending a lot.

The 6800 is a good card, it's the lowest of the 6800 series, but a member of the highest series nv makes. It goes 6200/6600/6600gt/6800/6800gt/6800ultra, so it's high midrange.

Some 6800's can "unlock" and enable 4 more disabled pixel pipelines, which increases peformance.

I wouldn't mess with the dell if it's new, don't worry about cooling, if it overheats under warranty it isn't your problem.

vnf4ultra said:
Yes, that will be very good for the games listed.

Your monitor will be ok, if you want to keep it. Bigger is better though :). For gaming a crt is usually better(plus they're cheaper). To get a lcd that's excellent at gaming you're going to be spending a lot.

The 6800 is a good card, it's the lowest of the 6800 series, but a member of the highest series nv makes. It goes 6200/6600/6600gt/6800/6800gt/6800ultra, so it's high midrange.

Some 6800's can "unlock" and enable 4 more disabled pixel pipelines, which increases peformance.

I wouldn't mess with the dell if it's new, don't worry about cooling, if it overheats under warranty it isn't your problem.

Thank you for your help. I think that covered everything :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back