Dell Dimension 4400 CD-RW LITE ON Drive won't open

Status
Not open for further replies.
The light on the drive stays on and it is unaccessible. I was using it one day and it just started doing this. What could possibly be wrong with it? Thanks.

either the drive's controller is failing or the drive itself is. test it in another known good pc, or take another known good drive and test it in your box. and you'll know for sure. does the drive becore responsive after a system reset?

sounds like your drive is shot. if you are careful you will be able to return a replacement drive you bought if nessesary, just take it easy on the packaging.

disconnect it from the power and ide cable then reconnect them, sounds like a bit of a dodgy connection to me. and if that brings no joy find a program that'll open the drive, there around, just small exe's that make your cd-drive open, normally called something really funny like cupholder.exe

You could also try the manual tray opener...it's a small hole on the front of the unit. A paper clip straightened out works best.

patio. :cool:

but be sure there isnt a disk in it and the machine powered on or you may well end up with a cd going straight through your body (no joke) i've seen a cd go wonky whilst at full speed in a tray and rip right through the side of a case, scariest thing i've ever seen or heard!

are you saying that a plastic cd in a computer drive was spinning, came free, and went through a case?

it sure was, cd's are lethal little buggers. i heard an odd noise like it was scraping, me and my mate looked at each other perplexed and suddenly it burst half way thro the case. with a loud bang! and shattered, we had to hoover his pc on the inside :D

are you saying that it went through the drive housing (metal), the mounting rack/rails, and the side panel of his case?

i sure am, the lateral strength of a disk... is phenomenal... ever been hit by an aerobie, that leaves quite a mark and thats spinning at about 100rpm and is made of rubber.

a cd spins at 10'000 rpm and is made of strong plastic, and is so so so thin...

i'm scared of my cd drive, no joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back