Dell Dimension 4400 maintenance error light codes

By oceantiger65
Mar 20, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. I have a code error on my Dell Dimension 4400. After a well needed cleaning service I tried to restart my machine it wont get past the hard drive. The light codes are A,B,C are green and D is yellow. I reseated the cards that were removed and checked all cables for looseness but to no avail has the problem been corrected. I am very tech sabe but this code doesnt show up on the dell website and the support techs only work with warranty. I have had this machine since 2001 and it has done a great job without fail. Can anyone give advice on the code above. TIA Louis ( American lost in Peru)
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

2001, the motherboard might have finally failed, look for exploded or bulging capacitors near the CPU heatsink
  3. oceantiger65

oceantiger65 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply, I check board hardware and did not encounter any building capacitors,or burnt resistors. But I did change the CMOS battery. Now the codes have changed to three orange and one green. According to the Dell codes my BIOS needs to be changed but I don't have a way to view it. The video card is lit up and the fan works but not making it to the monitor. All this was fine till I cleaned it.
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

I would say that the bios chip has failed now and the motherboard is toast