Dell Dimension 5150 won`t boot.

By HEANA73
Jun 14, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am a newbie looking for help with my Dell Desktop. I hope someone can help me before I smash it! hahaha just joking.

Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.
  2. halo71

halo71 Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,289

Hello Heana! Nice to meet you! Welcome to Techspot! :D
  3. HEANA73

HEANA73 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks Halo...can I explain my problem to you pretty please? I bought a Dell Dimension 5150 last April, so the warranty is expired now. Go figure. Using Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. The other day I woke up and it said I had 56 open windows in the Task Manager. I closed group and it seemed okay, but slow. I ended up shutting it down somehow and then the screen went sideways. Now I can't get it to boot up. It says floppy diskette seek failure. Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run set up utility. When I restart the computer it says...Loading PBR for descriptor 2....done. A disk READ error has occured, press Ctrl Alt Delete to restart. The only options I have are F2 and F12. I cannot restore it, I never could for that matter. DELL said they will talk to me if I pay them 49.00 for an incident warranty service. I don't want to give them money if my hard drive is shot. I had Norton Virus Internet Security on there. I use AOL too. Any ideas as to what caused this?

oh yea, i don't have a floppy drive either.
  4. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,623

guarenty the AOL did nothing but make it worse, and Norton Virus Internet Security is of no use either.
  5. HEANA73

HEANA73 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I am sure you are right about that thanks. I brought it to the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy tonight. They said could be a bad hard drive or more likely that Windows got misconfigured somehow and needs to be reinstalled. We'll see if it's software or hardware.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.