Dell Dimension RAM install trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently purchased two 1gb ddr ram chips for my dell dimension 4600 desktop with windows xp home. I took out the two old 128mb chips and put just one 1gb chip in to see if it was enough to speed it up. I started the computer up it recognized the new chip but it would take forever to load windows, it sat at the load screen before you select profiles for 10 minutes, every process seemed to take 3x as long as normal. I tried putting the old ram chips back in but it still runs 3x slower then before. The new chips say "vista ready", but thats what the tech at compusa gave me, so I dont know. any help?

Dell says "Install a pair of matched memory modules in connectors DIMM1 and DIMM2:."

Make it so!

You might also want to post exactly what ram you bought (name and numbers or URL to the exact web page).

Ive tried many different arrangements with the chips in the ram ports, I even made it the same before I touched the computer and its slower then ever.

The ram chips I bought are PNY 1gb DDR pc3200 400/333/266 mhz

Put the ram where it says to put it (per post #2).

Then, download and run Everest Home (it is free):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Once you download it, click on it and let it install and then run it from the icon on your desktop. Click on file, preferences, report and uncheck the 'include debug information in the report' box. People rarely want to see that stuff.

Click on the + sign beside 'Computer', then on 'Summary', then go to the VERY Top of the screen and click on 'report'.

Note: the 'Very Top' isn't one line down, it means what it says.

Cursor over 'quick report-summary' and then click on 'plain text' and then click on 'save to file' and change the 'save in' folder to 'Desktop' and then click 'Save'.

Clear all your open windows and on the Desktop click on that 'report.txt' icon - this will open it in a text editor (probably Notepad) and then copy and paste it to here.

THEN, run Everest again then click on Computer, then Sensor and report the voltages and temps shown by going to the VERY top of the screen and click on 'report', then 'quick report-sensor' and then 'plain text' and save it then go to C:/programs/lavalys and open that folder then open Everest Home folder and then reports and then copy and paste it to here (BE SURE TO EDIT INTO YOUR LAST POST).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back