Dell fixes Latitude throttling, noisy Seagate drives with updates

By Matthew
Dec 3, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dell has reportedly addressed the recently publicized Latitude E6400 and E6500-series performance issues with an update. Hundreds of Latitude owners complained that when slightly warm, their systems throttled by as much as 95% under normal speeds.

Read the whole story
  2. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

coincidence i think not dell knew it was there fault and released a patch for there blunder. At least they did something about it unlike apple and when stuff goes wrong with there products.
  3. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 869   +129

Unexpected problems and technology go hand in hand. As long as Dell fixes their problems, then it shouldn't be a huge deal.
  4. codefeenix

codefeenix Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

Shipping a 90W powersupply, then "upgrading" to 130W blows my mind.
  5. jjbeard926

jjbeard926 Newcomer, in training Posts: 69

I just ran this update on my Dell Latitude E6400. So far it looks like I'm getting about 5% better clock speeds on the processor and about 1 to 2% on the memory and video while cool. I'll see how it does when it warms up. Huge improvement though already and it's only been about 15 minutes.
  6. vangrat

vangrat Newcomer, in training Posts: 223

so just curious, say your only computer is the Dell you just bought that throttles back when you slightly use it, how the hell are you supposed to download the update?!
  7. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 574   +31

Amazing it hits the news and then they come up with a fix.
  8. lfg18

lfg18 Newcomer, in training Posts: 86

Well at least they are trying but they should make sure that their products work fine before they start selling them, i have heard some stories from friends about their Dells not working as they should, even when they are high end products. I hope that with this update they really fix those problems
  9. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Newcomer, in training Posts: 84

It's for notebooks... or at least I hope they are talking about notebooks :D
  10. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,035   +91

At least they fixed it. (i hope)
  11. AfricanTech

AfricanTech Newcomer, in training Posts: 71

12. AfricanTech

AfricanTech Newcomer, in training Posts: 71

Does anyone know if there is an alternative download site for RMClock - the official site appears to be down.

Cheers
  13. jjbeard926

jjbeard926 Newcomer, in training Posts: 69

On that same computer. The issue wasn't that it stopped working, the issue was that we were seeing huge processor and video card slow downs under stress. I was able to use my Dell e6400 to download the BIOS update, it installed great and I'm seeing huge gains. My initial tests showed about 5% improvement while under low load. I'm seeing about 20 to 30% improvement when warm and running multiple processes.
  14. levar

levar Newcomer, in training Posts: 232

well they ignored it the first time, its about time they did something about it. And I just want to say Dell has a very bad history for user support lol I've had a bit of experience myself.
  15. FoReWoRd

FoReWoRd Newcomer, in training Posts: 238

well i had a similar issue with my X15m notebook,except dell charged me 34.99 for a new 130Watt adaptor! this is disugsting CS
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.