Dell hops aboard the G-Sync train with its latest 27-inch monitor

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Dell on Thursday became the latest to join the G-Sync bandwagon, announcing a pair of new 27-inch monitors on the eve of PAX Prime – one of which is equipped with Nvidia’s gaming technology.

The Dell S2716DG is the company’s first gaming-grade monitor. It offers a Quad HD resolution of 2,560 x 1,440, a refresh rate of 144Hz and Nvidia’s second generation G-Sync technology which syncs the monitor with your GPU to minimize distortion and screen tearing.

Elsewhere, the display features a tilt, pivot, swivel and height-adjustable stand and connectivity options that include DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 1.4, four USB 3.0 ports, USB 3.0 upstream and line-out / headphone out.

While on the subject, Dell’s other new monitor – the Dell SE2716H – is the company’s first 27-incher with a curved display. While full specifications weren’t revealed, we do know it offers dual 9-watt speakers and a thin bezel that looks quite attractive. Dell’s language suggests this monitor is also suitable for gamers although until we see a complete list of specs, you’ll have to take Dell’s word for it.

Dell has priced the S2716DG at a staggering $799.99 while the curved variant sans G-Sync starts at $399.99. Availability for the former is set for October 20 while the latter will be made available starting September 15 via Dell’s website.

Permalink to story.

It won't sell at that price. That's x2 the price of similar products without G-Sync.

144Hz and G-Sync it sounds nice, but these features are pointless if the image quality is going to be garbage. I stopped buying TN panels in 2007 and I'm not going back.

400 for g-sync difference ? That sounds way too much
Yeah, in the real world, G-Sync adds about 200$ to the price, not 400$... but this is what I've come to expect from a company like Dell. They expect us to pay for the brand, even though the brand is a dinosaur. I see nothing here that ASUS can't match (and have for like a year already). :)

I'm patiently waiting for the ASUS ROG 34" 21:9 Curved G-Sync monitor. I don't really see the point in a curved 27" 16:9 aspect display anyway.

Back