TechSpot

Dell hops aboard the G-Sync train with its latest 27-inch monitor

By Shawn Knight
Aug 27, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Dell on Thursday became the latest to join the G-Sync bandwagon, announcing a pair of new 27-inch monitors on the eve of PAX Prime – one of which is equipped with Nvidia’s gaming technology.

The Dell S2716DG is the company’s first gaming-grade monitor. It offers a Quad HD resolution of 2,560 x 1,440, a refresh rate of 144Hz and Nvidia’s second generation G-Sync technology which syncs the monitor with your GPU to minimize distortion and screen tearing.

Elsewhere, the display features a tilt, pivot, swivel and height-adjustable stand and connectivity options that include DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 1.4, four USB 3.0 ports, USB 3.0 upstream and line-out / headphone out.

While on the subject, Dell’s other new monitor – the Dell SE2716H – is the company’s first 27-incher with a curved display. While full specifications weren’t revealed, we do know it offers dual 9-watt speakers and a thin bezel that looks quite attractive. Dell’s language suggests this monitor is also suitable for gamers although until we see a complete list of specs, you’ll have to take Dell’s word for it.

Dell has priced the S2716DG at a staggering $799.99 while the curved variant sans G-Sync starts at $399.99. Availability for the former is set for October 20 while the latter will be made available starting September 15 via Dell’s website.

Permalink to story.

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

It won't sell at that price. That's x2 the price of similar products without G-Sync.

3. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,897   +940

Unless you want to buy a product with g-sync. Keep in mind Dell also makes monitors without g-sync

4. Kinoow

Kinoow TS Rookie

400 for g-sync difference ? That sounds way too much

5. Experimentongod

Experimentongod TS Addict Posts: 226   +85

144Hz and G-Sync it sounds nice, but these features are pointless if the image quality is going to be garbage. I stopped buying TN panels in 2007 and I'm not going back.

6. WangDangDoodle

WangDangDoodle TS Addict Posts: 199   +71

Yeah, in the real world, G-Sync adds about 200$ to the price, not 400$... but this is what I've come to expect from a company like Dell. They expect us to pay for the brand, even though the brand is a dinosaur. I see nothing here that ASUS can't match (and have for like a year already). :)

I'm patiently waiting for the ASUS ROG 34" 21:9 Curved G-Sync monitor. I don't really see the point in a curved 27" 16:9 aspect display anyway.