Dell Inspiron 1000 - screen won't come on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2 1/2 yr old Dell Inspiron 1000. The battery is kaput and has been for a long time. always run off a power cord. now the laptop will not boot up (?). there are small green LED lights...two on the front, 4 in the back. they do come on when i turn on the power switch...at least some of them. I heard the hard drive spinning and the fan coming on...just like it would boot up normally, but then nothing. everything stops....then screen never comes on and its sits there...with a couple LED lights on, but nothing. like its in stand-by. This happened to me a year ago and i found a forum somewhere where everyone was having the same problem. they took the computer apart, removed something, then put it all back together and it worked. i just can't remember where i saw it at or what forum. this seems to be a fairly common problem with the Dells. If anyone can help me out here, i'd appreciate it. i just bought a new laptop and the same day the Dell crapped out before i could transfer all my information to my new laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

your battery is probably completely dead. Some laptops will not boot with a dead battery but will boot with a battery that still holds a trickle charge.

replace the battery and see what happens. Also post in the correct forum next time (mobile computing.)

same problem, same name

Brian, did you get an answer to this problem? I have the exact same problem, and the same name as you...Thanks, Brian

reply to Brian

Hi Brian, I am the original poster. i did have this problem a year ago as well and found a solution to it on a bulletin board, i just couldnt find it again. i did fix it again this time... what i did was take the battery and harddrive out. them put them both back in and restarted the computer. i remember a year ago the solution was wacky and just involved removing some things then putting them back in. dont know why it works, but it does.

anyway...see if that helps. . if not, its probably not the same problem as i'm having.

brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back