Dell Inspiron 1525 and Windows 7's XP Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyemfedup2

i just acquired a dell 1525
specs

Intel Celeron M 550
Windows 7 (6.1) Ultimate Edition (Build 7600)
CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 1 Cores - 1 Threads
CPU PSN : Intel Celeron CPU 550 @ 2.00GHz
CPU EXT : MMX, SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S), EM64T
CPUID : 6.6.1 / Extended : 6.16
CPU Cache : L1 : 32 / 32 KB - L2 : 1024 KB
Core : Conroe-L (65 nm) / Stepping : A1

Freq : 1994.92 MHz (132.99 * 15)
MB Brand : Dell
MB Model : 0U990C
NB : Intel GM965 rev C0
SB : Intel 82801HBM (ICH8-ME) rev B0

GPU Type : Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)
DirectX Version : 11.0

RAM : 4096 MB DDR2 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 266 MHz (1:2) @ 4-4-4-12
Slot 1 : 2048MB (6400)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Elpida
Slot 2 : 2048MB (6400)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Elpida
7200rpm sata HDD

i put win 7 ultimate 64 bit on it and it seems to work well except the reason i purchased the ultimate 64 ver. was i wanted to be able to run vxp

i downloaded the xp mode drivers but it wont support the virtual mode

i understand this is because of the CPU

does anyone know what i need to do this?

i would like to max this machine out without melting it down

it seems to be a pretty good machine so far

I'm having a little trouble finding the right drivers for everything though
such as the touch pad does not show up in device manager so I'm running in mouse properties so to speak because i don't know what touch pad dell uses
in the 1525
example: synaptics or what and which ver.

i did get the web cam going but I'm sure it could be better

i bought it at a mom and pop computer shop and don't know who the previous owner was to transfer the warranty
still working on that one it would be nice to be able to use customer support

anyway i think I've maxed out the memory but would like to upgrade CPU to a good duo core if that's possible and either more or faster memory or both

all the drivers i have I've found at dell.com but switching to win 7 ultimate 64 seems to be making it a little hard

thanks as always :wave:

Here is a link for your notebook drivers. But unfortunately it doesn't list windows 7, hence no windows 7 drivers either.

Now about replacing CPU; I am unable to comment on it because Inspiron 1525 comes in so many flavors; you are better off consulting with Dell anyway as you commented about warranty over there. Hence, if the thing is under warranty don't void it by fiddling around with it; instead take it to dell and ask them what they can do with it; it may cost bit more; but you will retain your warranty.

Also you may have to update your notebook's bios for a new CPU (if the motherboard supports it in the first place)

However, having said that, I am not sure what is the dell's policy about replacing CPUs or memory etc. in your locality.

Lastly, download CPUZ and check motherboard type /revision / bios info etc. I believe you can upgrade to C2D easily if the Motherboard model you gave me is correct.

please forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by c2d? duo core?
also i did find out that it is out of its 1year warranty it may still be possible i guess to extend it
over to me but finding out her info is probably going to be next to impossible as they probably would see it as a privacy issue giving me her info at the mom and pop place especially since I'm a he a she is a she.
I'm obviously not completely satisfied with this systems options so I'm not sure extending the warranty is in my best interest anyway
i want to play with it
i didn't know when buying a dell i would have to pay bucks just to talk to them
i realize it sounds silly but i have always pretty much had hp for my personal systems and have experimented with other brands to learn
hp gives you no problems that i have ran into with other brands
i bought a gateway NV52 for about 540.00 (black Friday )
it came with win 7 pro and was very impressive to look at i must say
it was a dog very slow i even payed geek squad to do their optimization
a little better but not much
this 1525 is a much faster machine it is a single core and out performs it like you would not believe.
but live and learn i do miss the speed of the wireless n built in it as i have N setup at home
much faster downloads
anyway the 1525 does not support vxp and i had not tried it on the NV52 because it was so slow anyway (i installed ultimate 64 bit on it also) and everything i have read says it could slow it down more.
i wonder if i would be having these driver issues which have really been mostly resolved
nothing missing in device manager, if i installed 7pro 32 bit on it?
or would it really make a difference either way
my thing is like everyone else i have loads of incompatible or 32 bit software i really like.
as for the system info i displayed, it was from CPU-z
that's really the only program i know to use for that sort of thing
if i have to ill probably pay dell to talk to me about upgrading the CPU but if anyone has had a similar experience with upgrading a socket 479 m class CPU in a laptop I'm open for discussion and advice
also any info on the process of dealing with dell would be much appreciated as I've been spoiled to the ease and open mindedness of their tech support but i cant live in a box if i want to learn even if i get get burned at times.
thanks for replying to my post so quickly
have a great weekend whats left of it LOL
ps. anybody know what bran of touch pad dell uses?

1. Sorry, C2D is Intel Core 2 Duo Processor(s) which was launched in 2006 to succeed Pentium 4.

2. I don't know for sure what is the make of touchpad on that notebook, although I suspect it probably is Alps

3. I would advise you to step down to 32bit Version of OS which came with this notebook; it will not only improve performance a notch for you, but also your driver issues will be resolved. Because, Dell has no Windows 7 drivers up on their site; and you'll be forced to make do without some hardware (e.g. touch pad in this case).

Now having cleared that out of the way, as this machine is out of warranty:

4. Extending its warranty is not the best bang for your buck; nor is simply replacing the processor, I mean the onboard vga in that machine is 'awful' beyond the point of normal business/productivity software related use.

If I can be of any further help, please let me know.

bummer

thanks for the info
although a bit of a let down i must say
I'm one of the many waiting on the promise of a true 64 bit system

i got all excited when i bought win 7 64bit software knowing i could still run my old stuff too

laptops are so proprietary

i miss the ability of customizing your own setup like the desktops

i guess ill install 32bit OS still win 7, i do like it although why they got rid of my classic view ill never understand

ill continue my quest for a laptop system that can handle the 64 bit OS and operate the vxd mode any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

i did find a list of the different inspiron 1525 CPU's but i guess i would have to buy it from dell to get the motherboard software correct?

Well I have been looking around since my last post, and here are few options as I was kind of suspecting you want to fiddle around with this machine ;)

1. Intel Core 2 Duo T7250.
2. Intel Core 2 Duo T7400

Both of these processors support Intel Virtualization Technology & EMT64 (64 bit capability).

Precautions:

1. Dell uses same motherboard as yours for Core 2 Duo CPUs as well; but I have been unable to find if there may be some sort of board revision from where onward new CPUs are supported (so its something you need to get checked from dell)
2. If that board supports the new processors, you may need to upgrade your BIOS.
3. Also ask them to advise about the Power supply capability of handling a more powerful CPU; I hope Dell has used the standard components used for Core 2 Duo notebooks though. (Both of these processors has TDP of 34 & 35 watts respectively).

Regards.

i have done some research and it seems some inspiron 1525's come with a t8100
my bios is set for duo core enabled
do i need to have anything else or is that it
i found the cpu for 89.00
just waiting for more info
as always thanks

As long as your Bios/motherboard supports it, I think you should be fine according to info about this processor at Intel's site.

hi all thanks for the link very helpful
OK here is a chart of my candidates

Compare Intel® Products
Clear Queue
Remove Product
Remove Product
Remove Product
Remove Product

Name Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7250 (2M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7400 (4M Cache, 2.16 GHz, 667 MHz FSB)
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T8100 (3M Cache, 2.10 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
Intel® Celeron® Processor 550 (1M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 533 MHz FSB)

Status Launched Launched Launched Launched
Launch Date Q3'07 Q3'06 Q1'08 Q1'08
Processor Number T7250 T7400 T8100 550
# of Cores 2 2 2 1
# of Threads 2 2 2 1
Processor Base Frequency 2 GHz 2.16 GHz 2.1 GHz 2 GHz
Cache 2 MB L2 Cache 4 MB L2 Cache 3 MB L2 Cache 1 MB L2 Cache
Bus/Core Ratio 10 13 10.5 15
Bus Type FSB FSB FSB FSB
System Bus 800 MHz 667 MHz 800 MHz 533 MHz
FSB Parity No No No No
Instruction Set 64-bit 64-bit 64-bit 64-bit
Embedded No Yes No Yes
Supplemental SKU No No No No
Processing Die Lithography 65 nm 65 nm 45 nm 65 nm
Max TDP 35 W 34 W 35 W 31 W
VID Voltage Range 1.075V-1.175V 1.1625V-1.300V 1.000V-1.250V 0.95V-1.30V
1ku Bulk Budgetary Price $209.00 $295.00 $209.00 $86.00
Memory Specifications
Physical Address Extensions 32-bit
ECC Memory Supported No
Package Specifications
TCASE 100°C 100°C 100°C
TJUNCTION 100°C 100°C 105°C 100°C
Package Size 35mm x 35mm 35mm x 35mm 35mm x 35mm 35mm x 35mm
Processing Die Lithography 65 nm 65 nm 45 nm 65 nm
Processing Die Size 143 mm2 143 mm2 107 mm2 143 mm2
# of Processing Die Transistors 291 million 291 million 410 million 291 million
Sockets Supported PBGA479, PPGA478 PBGA479, PPGA478 BGA479, PGA478 PBGA479, PPGA478
Halogen Free Options Available No No Yes No
Advanced Technologies
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology No No No No
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology No No No No
Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) Yes Yes Yes No
Intel® Trusted Execution Technology No No No No
Intel® 64 Yes Yes Yes Yes
Idle States No Yes No
Enhanced Intel® Speedstep Technology Yes Yes Yes No
Intel® Demand Based Switching No No No No
Execute Disable Bit Yes Yes Yes Yes

• Site Map
• RSS
• Jobs
• Investor Relations
• Press Room
• Contact Us
• Terms of Use
• *Trademarks
• Privacy
• ©Intel Corporation
the Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7400 (4M Cache, 2.16 GHz, 667 MHz FSB)
obviously has more cache and is a fsater cpu but it only has a 667 FBS rateing
and a 32bit Physical Address Extension
it is embeded like my m550 (whatever that means) and no idle states???

they all seem to support gm965 chipset
the T8100 supports socket BGA479, PGA478

the others , as does my m550 support the PBGA479, PPGA478 socket

so
as it seems the T7400 seems to be the best match for my upgrade except the 32 bit thing right? and the slower FSB which means slower memory 667 instead of 800

so i guess what do you guys think is the best choice ?

does the socket still match the T8100 ?

what does embedded mean ?

and what exactly does a 32 bit physical address extension mean?
it sounds to me like a step backwards from 64 to me?

no turbo boost?

i cant find out what my max FBS is on my motherboard anywhere.

i know this is allot of info but i know you guys eat this stuff

as always thanks for your help

Well to doubly make sure, download CPUZ and run it, it will tell you details about your processor/socket/fsb etc. as well as motherboard name/model. That will help in clearing any doubts about this possible upgrade.

I haven't read through the whole thread, so forgive me if any of this info is redundant/ was already covered but thought these links might be helpful in general

[post=803473]See this post and the links within[/post]
=> Don't know which CPUs you are looking at but beware that some CPU model numbers may or may not support virtualization based on its version even tho the model number is the same (you must be careful to check the model's version level)

Also, see this link MS

@LA
Thanks for the links; when I advised on his query about T8100, I did checked intel's site for VT and other info, and that CPU do support VT.

The problem lies in one thing; the time his current notebook was shipped Dell was also selling this model with T8100 processors, so I believe this is the same motherboard; however, I want to ensure it, also he may have to upgrade BIOS. Hence, I requested him to give me info about motherboard above.

@eyemfedup2
You have win7 Ultimate and if you use some old applications (e.g. games); you may end up needing VT, so I would suggest you to go through links provided by LA, as they should help you in making a more informed decision.

thats ok but i do still have a few questions if you dont mind
i know it was a long post but maybe you can answer this
the Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7400 (4M Cache, 2.16 GHz, 667 MHz FSB)
obviously has more cache and is a fsater cpu but it only has a 667 FBS rateing
and a 32bit Physical Address Extension
it is embeded like my m550 (whatever that means) and no idle states???

they all seem to support gm965 chipset
the T8100 supports socket BGA479, PGA478

the others , as does my m550 support the PBGA479, PPGA478 socket

so
as it seems the T7400 seems to be the best match for my upgrade except the 32 bit thing right? and the slower FSB which means slower memory 667 instead of 800

so i guess what do you guys think is the best choice ?

does the socket still match the T8100 ?

what does embedded mean ?
thanks

and what exactly does a 32 bit physical address extension mean?
it sounds to me like a step backwards from 64 to me?

no turbo boost?

i cant find out what my max FBS is on my motherboard anywhere.

1. Don't worry about few %age of performance loss due to slower FSB (I'm assuming here you want T7400), think of it as data bandwidth of CPU (i.e. FSB), hence more can be better. Also, extra cache will help you in certain conditions; therefore, the more is better in Core 2's case, due to its wider execution pipeline.

2. Core 2 Duo T7400 does have EMT64 i.e. its a 64bit CPU & supports VT as well.

3. I doubt your CPU is embedded one; as its a Socket P processor as far as I know, hence you can replace it by just pulling it out, and putting in new one. However, you may have to upgrade your motherboard's BIOS before pulling out the old processor and putting in the new one.

4. As I asked you earlier, please download CPUZ, it will give you details about your current CPU, the socket in which sits in, FSB details, motherboard's make/model etc.

OK problem people
after you would not believe i received a t7400 ordered for my inspiroron 1525
the CPU wont fit
what?
i did allot of homework on this one but i guess not good enough
i have 6 more days for a refund
or i would just prefer an exchange to an adequate duo core

i have a m550 in it now

the whole deal is running win7 ultimate and vxp mode

I'm at a loss

i have a xps m170 but i don't believe that it will work in it either

i want to upgrade my 1525 to a duo core and stay around the 2 ghz range

what to do

SOS

Well I am unsure what you mean with 'won't fit'. As these Intel links clearly show both of these processors have same socket (only issue may have been bios upgrade/board revision; but not the socket).

Core 2 T7400

Celeron 550

Specifically look at the socket types (i.e. PBGA479, PPGA478).

yes
i thought so too
but without forcing it (i have replaced cups a thousand times by now)
i line it up even noticing the pin configuration and the small notch in the corner of the
socket where there are no pin holes (didn't know what to call them)
it will not easily drop in at all
its like its being held up not in the corner but close to it

the pins are perfectly strait

i didn't get in any hurry to put it in but i tried multiple times

it just wont drop in??? (the pins are perfectly strait) and orientation is correct??

as always thanks and i appreciate any help

I am absolutely at loss; as the sockets are same, hence it should accept the CPU with no fuzz at all. If you can find some tech support about this from your local IT store etc. I guess it would be more prudent, as there is not much time for refund left now.

OK
to clear the confusion
i understood as you
but one is socket p and one m
obviously dell has more than one mobo they put in the inspiron 1525
so it seems you where correct
dell just doesn't seem to want to share info without charging an arm and a leg
back to hp i guess for my own machines, great customer support
cant live in a box though if i want to learn
I'm only glad i can pass this on so as to avoid confusion for someone else. live and learn but sometimes it hurts. took a little bit of a loss.
i like you, read the same stuff on the CPU it seems they have more than one mobo for my machine as i said earlier
ill let you know how this works out, i should get the t7300 in about a week
thanks again you guys are the greatest

You are welcome; and thankyou for your update. Though, keep us posted whatever may be the result; and let us know if we can be of any further help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back