TechSpot

Dell Inspiron 1525 CPU DVD/CD writer

By jmdlcar
Jul 22, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. My laptop has a DVD Rom and CD writer but want to do is put a DVD writer and CD writer in it but I need a part number for the drive that will fit that Laptop. The company needs a part number to be sure if will work. Any idea?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

A laptops CD/DVD drives are basically universal. The rear mounting bracket can be removed from the old drive and paced on the new drive

cliffordcooley likes this.
  3. jmdlcar

jmdlcar TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

The one in the Dell has one big connector and the one I got look like sata connector. So I need to find another like the Dell has.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,554   +2,894

I'm confused. Can you post pictures of what you are dealing with. From what I can see the Dell Inspiron 1525 takes a SATA connection. If you bought a Slim DVD drive with a SATA connector, it should work.

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

The "big" connector is an IDE interface and the smaller square is SATA. IDE types are very old. You might find an IDE CD/DVD laptop drive on EBay

6. jmdlcar

jmdlcar TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

Both CD/DVD were made the same year but mind was a Dell and came from a HP. I know now and what to look for.