Dell Inspiron 4000, cannot start

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dell Inspiron 4000 worked fine since 2003 with no troubles.

Suddenly It could not be started a few days ago. A CD is stuck inside the CD slot.

When press the power button, three indication lights (small green lights) flashes for a few seconds and go off.

the laptop was turned off regularly, the power connection is fine, battery is charged, no sound heard, no search on harddrive or CD drive, CD slot cannot be pushed open.

Anyone can tell me what to do to fix it and get the CD out?

thanks

1 - try starting the laptop from the mains but with the battery removed
2 - straighten out a paperclip and use this in the small hole on the front of the CD drive. Press gently and it should release the caddy which will pop out.
If the PC fails to start, it may be that the power management board has failed - not a repair for a novice (or Dell) so a local shop might be able to help.

it works

thank you both for the response and advice.

first, I used a paperclip (straightened) to press the little hole in front of the box and got the CD out.

2nd, I removed the battery and pressed the power button, it started.

the question: can I put the battery back to the laptop? what should I do before putting it back?

I don't use the battery too often.

Try it and see with the battery fitted. If you are going to run the machine from mains current for long periods it is kinder to leave the battery off as the heat from the laptop will limit it's lifespan.

thanks for advice though I have not tested it yet.

the next question is what and how to use this laptop as a second screen for a desktop for programming editing?

Should I start a new thread for this question?

Not sure you can use a laptop monitor as a second screen - I have never seen one that will accept an external input to the monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back