TechSpot

Dell Inspiron 4100 USB Problem (need help)

By davidh
Jan 3, 2007
  1. Hi All:

Newbie here. :)

I have inherited a laptop and it has a problem recognizing USB devices. I am looking for some guidance here.

Thanks
    davidh

2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

Hi

What exactly happens, is it all USB devices or just some, please be more specific..

Regards

3. davidh

davidh TS Rookie Topic Starter

USB Issue

Thanks for the reply. Nothing happens. There is no recognition of the port in Windows. The port does not show in hardware properties.

I have plugged in an LED flex light which lights showing that there is voltage at the port.

I have also put a 64MB memory stick in with no recognition.

Thoughts?

Davidh

4. Ididmyc600

Hi

Check that the USB is enabled in the BIOS, some allow the turning off of the USB ports....

Regards

5. davidh

davidh TS Rookie Topic Starter

USB Port Issue SOLVED!!

YIPPIE!!

The USB port in the BIOS was ENABLED, but this meant that legacy attached keyboards would be used (per text in the BIOS page.) Not having such a device I disabled the port, rebooted and the system then recognized a USB memory stick with known contents. I asked the previous owner about the port, she never used it. :)

Thank you very much for your expert assistance. This my first experience with a tech board and I am very impressed. Not only with the response but the e-mail followup from administration.

Thank you!!!

davidh :)

6. Ididmyc600

Hi

Glad you got it working OK,

Regards

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.