Dell inspiron 6400n With linux pre-installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

davids

I have just ordered a Dell inspiron 6400 with ubunto pre-installed.

I think its really cool that there is a laptop being sold by a big manufacturer with linux installed - linux seem to be making alot of headway!

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has bought this laptop, and what its like?

If not I will post something on here when I get it.

Also, might be coming on here for some advice!!

Dave

I have a feeling your ahead of everybody with this one. :haha:

We look forward to hearing your report.

well now, download all the open source software out there and have a decent system. Openoffice, 7Z, firefox, thunderbird etc...

Ok it should come in a week or two, so I will post on here as to what its like.

And yes I do plan to download some software, especially open office:)

Thanks Guys

Hey :)

I ordered an Inspiron 6400n from dell 3 days ago now, and cant wait to get my hand on it. I have used Linux in the past (Ubuntu and Fedora) but I always had hardware issues. Hopefully by buying it pre-installed they should be ironed out.

As for software, I think 7.04 Feisty Fawn comes with Openoffice included, so no problem there. And appently the DVD/MP3 playback is alot easier to enable that when I last used it.

I was after a good laptop with powerful hardware for university next year, and by the look and sound of thing, this should be perfect. building the same laptop with Vista, and incuding the an office suite, and antivirus, this laptop should cost over £1000!

I'll keep you posted when i get it (before the 19th... cant wait :D )

Zars.

what is Feisty Fawn exactly?

And yes I have installed linux several times over the last few years and have had problems, but every time I have installed it it has been better - and like you say if it comes pre-installed I would hope it should be well configured to go with the hardware.

Plus, since Il have no xp/vista(urgh) licence it will give me an incentive to stick it out:)

Just hope the laptops up to scratch - I got a core2duo chip but i could only get the 1mb cache one, not sure if that would make a big difference to the 2mb??

One more thing, can anyone recommend a good book I can get to start learning a bit of linux - as Im a computer engineer, so this laptop is part home use and part network troubleshooting tool:) And about the only thing I know on linux is how to ping:)

Feisty Fawn is the name of the current version of Ubuntu (collection of software). The next one, Gusty Gibbon, is out in October (correct me if I'm wrong :) ). Although there are updates released quite frequently, this will be the next major update.

They recently had a committee meeting to vote if they should include 'graphical enchantment' software, very similar to Beryl. The vote passed so that’s something new to see! :D

As for the books, I'm not sure about advanced books but I've ordered The Official Ubuntu Book which is said to be good for an introduction (which is what I need! :D ). As I said, the laptop is for University, so I won’t be meddling with it just yet!

My two best mates use Ubuntu, so they've told me all about it, thought it would be worth giving another go. I went for the Dual-Core T2130 Processor (1.86GHz, 533MHz, 1MB L2 cache) and 2 Gig of RAM. 100 Gig HDD and the DVD+/- RW.

Oh, one more thing, if you are thinking of buying this laptop, say you bought a Dell before but can’t remember when. I said that (although I have bought one over 5 years ago: P ) and he offered me 4 years 'wear and tear' warranty for the price of one year!

If you get any trouble with the laptop, you can try this forum (I'll be around :D or you could try the Ubuntu forums, as there is now a forum dedicated to Dell bases :D

Will keep you posted :)

Zars.

Tedster said:
well now, download all the open source software out there and have a decent system. Openoffice, 7Z, firefox, thunderbird etc...

I wouldn't be surprised if it came with most of that already. I recently downloaded and installed ubuntu 6.06 and it came with mozilla, openoffice, thunderbird, and a few other apps already installed. I know there is a newer version of ubuntu also available as well.

I bought the T2080 1.73ghz dual core processor
512mb ram
60gb hdd
cd-rw

-I tryed to keep it as cheap as possible Although Im a bit annoyed because I paid 350 for mine, and have now looked on the home laptop page and there is the same laptop going for 399 with xp licence dvd-rw and 1gb of ram:(

Ps when your book arrives can you let me know what its like and I might get it also.

The book sale fell through, although I'm greatful: I went to a book store to buy it and had a quick read, and a friend then told me that there are websites that have all of that infomation in it anyway (as the book is writen uy people on the Ubuntu Forums).

He said there was one main site that was very good, but he failed to remember the address. When he does, I'll let you know. I'm now looking for a book in C++ :)

Zars.

(PS Put the system specs of your Dell in your profile :D)

I passed a waterstones bookshop yesterday and ended up buying The complete guide to ubuntu - i think thats what its called. And I have read through some of it and it seems pretty good for reference and for someone pretty new to linux.

I will put my dell spec on my profile, give me a few days...

Let me know if you find out that site then/...

Finally got my laptop! as it took ages to come they gave me some free upgrades: to 1gb of ram, dvd-rw and 80gb hard drive:)

Believe it or not the guy said they were having trouble as ubuntu is not a very common operating system!!

Now I just need some cool things to do on my new laptop... any ideas?

SNGX1275 said:
Install Windows!

:O:O:O Why install win$ when you have Ubuntu for free?? hehe.

Davids, if your resolution is not on 1280x800 resolution, I suggest you look at getting 915resolution. Its a program that helps your X-server load the screen correctly (but if your using Gutsy, you dont need to :p ).

I'd suggest Inkscape as one cool programs!

Zars.

think my res is 1024 by 768. Should it be different to that?

and what is inkscape?

lastly, windows? what the ### is that? Desperately trying to get away from windows "hates the big corporations:)" loves the freeware! I love the way linux licence specifically progibits the sale of their software!

Its so grate to look on the bottom of your laptop and not see a license, and at the same time know your not breaking the law:)

SNGX1275 yes I know:) I was only half joking as well, as I use windows computers all day at work:)

Ive just always thought it would be cool to learn some linux - Im quite into networking as well and i get the impression that it would be alot easier to understand networking concepts on linux as you can get alot nearer to the actual workings than you can with windows is that right?

it is hard work though, I spent about an hour yesterday trying to work out how to install one program:) (html editor) but then I found screem in the add programs menu, so i just used that instead:)

I really am loving the laptop though:) All hands up to dell for supporting linux, hope they dont give up on it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back