Dell Inspiron 8000 Clicking noise then crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop and it has a strange problem. The pc will run for a few hours and then all of a sudden it starts to make a clicking noise and it will freeze and most of the time the old blue screen of death pops up. It it sits for a while it will boot up again without no problem. I bougth a used hard drive that I found very cheap on Ebay and that did not solve the problem. I think it is some kind of a power issue because I noticed that earlier I was using the same battery all of the time and it would last only a few minutes before crashing. After I swapped batteries it ran longer but still crashes after some time. I always have the power adapter connected as well because the batteries are old and do not last long at all. The fans run correctly so I don't think it is a fan problem. I cannot really tell where the clicking noise comes from. Has anyone seen this type of problem before with the Dell 8000 inspiron? Any suggestions?

Thanks

PK

Hello

Hello,

I am not so sure it is the hard drive when I replaced the hard drive with a new one and the pc does the same problem. So that is why I am looking for other solutions. But thanks anyway for replying!

PK

You said it was a cheap one from eBay, so there was no guarantee it worked in the first place.

Clicking and constant errors are both classic hdd failure signs.

P17061 said:
Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop and it has a strange problem. The pc will run for a few hours and then all of a sudden it starts to make a clicking noise and it will freeze and most of the time the old blue screen of death pops up. It it sits for a while it will boot up again without no problem. I bougth a used hard drive that I found very cheap on Ebay and that did not solve the problem. I think it is some kind of a power issue because I noticed that earlier I was using the same battery all of the time and it would last only a few minutes before crashing. After I swapped batteries it ran longer but still crashes after some time. I always have the power adapter connected as well because the batteries are old and do not last long at all. The fans run correctly so I don't think it is a fan problem. I cannot really tell where the clicking noise comes from. Has anyone seen this type of problem before with the Dell 8000 inspiron? Any suggestions?

Thanks

PK
Hello there, I owns Dell Latitude D600.

I run it on 40GB Hitachi TravelStar HTS548040M9AT00.

It is still in excellent condition.

My recommendation is to buy the following hard drive for your protection and reputation.

Hitachi
IBM
Western Digital

My highest recommendation is to have you to buy the new hard drive from the reputable company instead.

My Second recommendation is to have you to go back to ebay and look again. This time, find the drive's manufacturer ( either Hitachi or IBM ), and look the price and the seller's reputation ( Should be above 96% over 250 sold items )

Good luck.

Regards Lucan

clicking hard drives are in imminent danger of failing . What you are hearing is head knocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back