Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop, which is bios chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello i have a inspiron 9100 laptop that thinks it has 266mhz memory, no matter which memory you give it!

It stops booting and tells you to install 333 or 400mhz memory and to hit f1 to shutdown.

I tried fooling it by removing the bios battery and turning it on, well now it tells you the time is off and when you go there and correct the time it goes ahead and boots just fine.
Turn it off and backon then it remembers that it thinks it has 266ddr and to hit f1 to shutdown.

I tried updating the bios flash but it gives me an error message saying that it doesnt support this hardware..

I have several 9100 mbs....can i remove a chip and reinstall on this one and maybe fix it????

Thanks

Not likely. The BIOS chip is soldered in... and doesn't really seem to be the problem anyway.
I would remove one memory module, and see what it does with the other, then reverse the memory modules... as it very likely could be a failed memory module, or one improperly inserted.

I have installed 1 then 2 and tried about 10 different sticks, it boots evrytime and says the same thing no mattery which memory stick it has. If you fool it like i said and set the clock, youre in the bios, you can see listed in the bios it truly thinks it has 266mhz ddr......

Any other ideas? I can easily remove and replace any soldered chip.......if i just new which one.......

Thanks, i figured that but im the type person who likes to fix things.....i can fix the board if someone had an idea which chip would be involved in this issue....

thanks

If you do not know that simple fact, then you probably cannot "... fix the board..."

The BIOS information is proprietary, and difficult to get as well as difficult ot install into the chip... and true knowledge is needed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back