Dell Inspiron E1705 CPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to know if it is possible to upgrade the E1705's CPU to something faster than 1.66GHz that I have now. I'm looking for something in the 2 GHz and up range. Plus I would like to know when/if the old E1705 that came with the Intel Core Duo changed to the new one with the Intel Core 2 Duo processors.

Now, I'm at work so I can't check my laptop now, but if I have the old Intel Core Duo processor. Would it be possible for me to upgrade my processor to the new Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

That depends on the way DELL made your laptop. Some you can remove the CPU and replace it with higher speed. Butyou got those Dual core ones where you can change the CPU, but doing that will have to be check with DELL online support first. Remember faster CPU more battery life will be shorten. Going from 1.66GHz to 2.0GHz isn't that big of a deal.

From Dell:

"Dell does not offer processor or motherboard upgrades for purchase as discreet items, nor does Dell recommend upgrading the processor or motherboard in any given system; therefore, Dell cannot support systems in which the motherboard or processor has been upgraded through third-party services or products"...

I don't care about Dell warranty.

I check under dxdiag and found I have the T2300 and reads as two cpus.
So from what I'm reading I would need to open my laptop to even figure out if I can take out my CPU or not.

I'm just saying this because there is no way I'm going try and sell my E1705 I have now and buy a new E1705 with the Intel Core 2 Duo. I would lose out on a whole lot of money.

So I want to upgrade cause sometimes when I'm running alot of applications my CPU usage is like 98% and the screen like freezes and nothing will move for a bit. I have 1.2 Gigs of RAM tho so I know it can't be my memory.

I would do a System Restore and see if the laptop speeds up. The Dell site says you are running a dual core CPU now... If you want to risk trashing your laptop, go ahead and change the CPU. I assure you that you will not see any real performance gain by doing this

Tmagic650 said:
From Dell:

"Dell does not offer processor or motherboard upgrades for purchase as discreet items, nor does Dell recommend upgrading the processor or motherboard in any given system; therefore, Dell cannot support systems in which the motherboard or processor has been upgraded through third-party services or products"...

I've you ever replace a MOBO in a DELL like Latitude D600, D610, the CPU can be pull off the MOBO and replace. We had one that need to be replaced.

Rukushin said:
I don't care about Dell warranty.

I check under dxdiag and found I have the T2300 and reads as two cpus.
So from what I'm reading I would need to open my laptop to even figure out if I can take out my CPU or not.

I'm just saying this because there is no way I'm going try and sell my E1705 I have now and buy a new E1705 with the Intel Core 2 Duo. I would lose out on a whole lot of money.

So I want to upgrade cause sometimes when I'm running alot of applications my CPU usage is like 98% and the screen like freezes and nothing will move for a bit. I have 1.2 Gigs of RAM tho so I know it can't be my memory.

You might try OEM CPU from NewEgg if you can find one... I have some DELL C600 where I wanted to change the Mobile PIII 850Mhz and make it a Moblie PIII 1.0GHz which I did the BIOS does see the changes. The CPU can come out just like the D600, D610 Series. The D620 and D820 also.

chamillitarysk8 said:
or you could get an AMD equivalent processor
no you can't. it is not possible to put an AMD processor into an Intel based motherboard.

Rukushin said:
So from what I'm reading I would need to open my laptop to even figure out if I can take out my CPU or not
yes. some mobile Intels use a PGA socket (the CPU will be removable/replaceable) and others use a BGA (which is soldered to the motherboard). if your motherboard uses a PGA socket, then theoretically you could replace the CPU with a PGA Core-2-Duo (with a BIOS update).

Rukushin said:
I have 1.2 Gigs of RAM tho so I know it can't be my memory
1GB is not that much any more. while it may be more than enough for the average user, it is not enough for heavy multi-tasking. your memory requirements may be exceeding the amount you physically have installed, which will cause the system to heavily use the slow virtual memory instead.

Rukushin said:
I want to upgrade cause sometimes when I'm running alot of applications my CPU usage is like 98% and the screen like freezes and nothing will move for a bit
while there would be a slight performance increase from upgrading processors, the difference is not significant enough to solve your problem. if you're running too many applications, a faster processor will have the same problem keeping up.

To sum it all up, you are simply running too many tasks at the same time. are they all accessory? you can tweak your operating system and disable everything that you don't need. windowsXP by default autostarts almost 50 processes when less than 20 are actually required for your computer to operate (yours may require more than 20, but certainly not 50) these unnecessary background tasks can significantly bog down your entire system.

I would recommend you disable all unnecessary programs/processes first. if you still experience lag, then consider upgrading your RAM to 2GB. I would look at a processor upgrade as the last option, not the first

cheer :wave:

You can only put in Intel Mobile CPU where and Intel MOBO is in use. AMD is a different CPU requires a diffferent MOBO. Like I had said 1.6GHz is good enough as most CPUs were based off the Mobile PIII low power consumtion. Centrono and Dual Core for Laptops.

Try changing your HDD to a faster spinning RPM one like 7200 instead of 4200 or 5400. That will speed up functions and activies, yeah more RAM would help also..

Ok, thanks so much everyone. You all have helped me sooo much. I'm going to go the RAM route first and bump to 2GB and see what happens. Then I'll try the HDD route.

Basically my ultimate task is to turn the E1705 into a gaming laptop. If it was up to me I would have just gotten the Dell XPS Laptop as a Graduation present, but hey I didn't so I gotta make due and try to upgrade this bad boy to its maximum.

use Task Manager to how much physical memory is being used and to see which programs/processes are using the most amount of memory. here is a guide on how to track memory usage in task manager.

track your memory usage with just windows running, and again with all your usual programs running. this shoud let you know how if you need more physical RAM.

:wave:

Yes McAfee is also a heavy system resource hog. Try using AVG Free instead for a few days and see if the problem gets better. Also, you might try a quick scan with Ad-Aware and/or Spybot as well, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back