Dell Inspiron slows to a crawl after 15-20 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
15 to 20 minutes after startup my Dell Inspiron 8600 slows to a crawl. The problem seems to roughly coincide with startup of the cooling fan. But after an hour or so the speed increases somewhat. Once started the fan operates continuously.

The problem first arose within the last 5 hours of use and this laptop hasn't been used more than 200 hours use since new. But of course it is now out of warranty. Removal of a very slight amount of dust from the cooling fins next to the fan made no improvement.

Any thoughts?

Open the thing up and clean up all the air ducts (doesn't matter now since the warranty is gone). Check if all the fans are OK.

Clean as a whistle and still bogs dwn after fan starts. Task manager window shows cpu usage bumping 100% much of the time even with minimal programs open.

In the task manager under the process tab the only process showing cpu usage is The only processes presently showing any cpu usage at all are the following:

firefox.exe
system
system idleprocess
explorer.exe

All the others display "00".

Thanks Howard.
I have installed and keep avg virus scan updated and running on this computer. I have nevertheless attempted the protocol you have prescribed. But again, the moment my computer's fan started the Kaspersky scan process slowed to such an imperceptible pace that it will not likely be completed before mid week. In fact, it is currently running so slow that it cannot always keep pace with my feeble typing abilities.

Sort the process view using the CPU column to get the biggest hogs to the top.

Use the Process Explorer utility from Sysinternals to see system processes/drivers in addition to userland programs.

Same Problem- Fan runs turbo speed and everything slows down!

I have the exact same problem on my Dell Inspiron 8600. My fan begins to run at turbo speed randomly and everything slows to a crawl. CPU goes way up and the top user is NAVAPSVC.exe
I've cleaned out the fan many times...no help. also tried an updated BIOS- no help.
HELP!

Inspiron 8600 is not happy

Was a great machine until this fan thing started. waranty expired jan 1st of 08 and now it is messing up. I use the computer for a few minutes, then the fans kick on at full speed and the cpu is Pinned at 100%. I opened up task manager and the main thing pulling the load was SVCHOST and Exploerer.exe. Not wanting to mess around with it too much, (hoping it would be covered) called Dell... somehow i was lucky to have my call routed to India where "Jack" helped me. Dell now does a remote access control so that they can try to resolve the problem. they deleted all my temp files, cleaned out a bunch of things. Rebooting my machine numerous times, each time the computer was working fine and then a few minutes later it would go to high speed with the fan and the CPU would go to almost nothing. Opening Internet Explorer was taking 5 to 10 minutes. They guy from dell, after 120 minutes on the phone decided to advise me to backup all my personal data and attempt to reformat the machine as it would restore the machine to its original state. I had them send me the original disks and now after 4 1/2 hours of trying to install windows on the machine, i'm truly about to throw it out my window. does anybody have any ideas on what i can do to help my situation. I'm running out of options.

Thanks!!!
SourPatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back