Dell introduces new 32 and 24-inch 4K Ultra HD resolution monitors

Justin Kahn

After leaking over the weekend, Dell has now officially announced its new Ultra HD 4K monitors today. The new Dell UltraSharp line will ship in two models, the 31.5-inch flagship and a 24-inch version, both of which run in full 3840 x 2160. As you might have imagined, these displays will not be cheap. The 31.5-inch UltraSharp will hold the same $3500 price tag as the Asus Ultra HD display and the 24-inch (seen below) model will come in at $1400.

Along with the 24-incher's much more digestible price tag, the 185 PPI display features a 178-degree viewing angle with an adjustable stand, as well as HDMI, mini-DisplayPort, DisplayPort, USB 3.0 ports (x4) and multifunction card reader connectivity. For $1400, Dell promises a 3 year Premium Pixel Guarantee, in which apparently the company will replace your display if even a single pixel acts up.

dell ultra hdmi usb 3.0 monitor ultra hd 4k displayport 185 ppi mini-displayport card reader premium pixel guarantee

As for the flagship 31.5-inch, it boasts a very similar spec set as its smaller counterpart, beyond its more limited 176 degree viewing angle and its 140 pixel per inch count.

While these are certainly pricey monitors, Dell is expected to introduce an Ultra HD display at what sounds like a slightly lower price tag some time next year. Reports say the company has a 28-inch 4K Ultra HD display coming in 2014 that will sit somewhere in the sub $1000 price range. Dell expects this to be the most affordable 4K display on the market when it launches.

Both the 31.5 and 24-inch 4K Dell UltraSharp monitors are available now on Dell.com.

Permalink to story.

Thank you Dell!! I'm glad someone finally has the balls to release a 24" monitor with a resolution higher than 1920x1080. I'm going to buy the 24" 4K one as soon as I've saved up enough.

I'd rather have a 4k 46" tv. The dpi on the 24". Seems a bit too much but I can see the 36 inch as acceptable. Now all they need to do is stop using edge lit back lighting.

Ehhh. Way too overpriced. Also, this will need some serious horsepower to game on. The only good application for this currently is graphic design rather than gaming. I bet once we get next generation GPUs, gaming at 4K will be easier.

"Dell promises a 3 year Premium Pixel Guarantee, in which apparently the company will replace your display if even a single pixel acts up."

They do in fact exchange displays for a single defective pixel and even send the replacement first so you have zero downtime. The "Premium Guarantee" is why buying Dell "Ultrasharp" displays is such a good idea.

I had a 2 year and 8 months old 2209WA (22" 1680x1050) and received a brand new U2312HM (23" 1920x1080) less than 24 hours after placing a customer support call just because the LED on the power button had died. You can complain about ANYTHING about your display and they will exchange it until you're happy with your unit. I suppose you could even make up a defect and they will exchange your display anyway, I don't think they even check the stuff they get back, they just refurbish it and send it to another customer hoping they don't care that much about it. The only problem is that you may need to exchange the display 3 or 4 times until you get a "perfect" one as a result of that practice.

Finally something to replace my 27" 2560x1440 monitor. I've been wanting a second one, but knew I should wait for 4k. Damn right Dell! I'd love to get two 31.5" screens, but I think I'll be good with two 28" instead. :)

I still say 4k resolution on less than 40" display is overkill. But then at least this is advancing in technology, and hopefully decreasing the price of 4K on 40+" displays. I'd love to one day at least witness 4K displays in Eyefinity, and know of no one that would have 100K to spend on displays.

Thank you guinea pigs, for spending your money on needless tech. Keep reducing the price of tech that is needed.

24 inches for a 4k display is way too small, web pages will be too small to read. You will need to zoom in and when that happens it defeats the purpose of having a 4k display. I have the dell u2711 and the text is small as is, I would much rather get another 1440p display to have more room for documents.

What a lot uneducated comments....sigh. Since when is 4K not suited for anything under 24"? I think some people seriously need to do some research before they post such comments. A comment like "That would make my browser way too small" really makes me laugh.

"24 inches for a 4k display is way too small, web pages will be too small to read. You will need to zoom in and when that happens it defeats the purpose of having a 4k display."

Ask anyone who owns an Apple iPad or laptop with Retina of he wants back the old pixel density.... (rolling eyes). Trust me....10 years from now when you're browsing with super crisp text that is sharper than the text from a traditional book and look back at the old days, you will wonder how you could ever post that comment.

I still say 4k resolution on less than 40" display is overkill. But then at least this is advancing in technology, and hopefully decreasing the price of 4K on 40+" displays. I'd love to one day at least witness 4K displays in Eyefinity, and know of no one that would have 100K to spend on displays.

Thank you guinea pigs, for spending your money on needless tech. Keep reducing the price of tech that is needed.

it's mostly for work related stuff and very high end gaming.
many need the extra pixels on a single monitor when using CAD or Photoshop. if paying 1000$ improves productivity and brings back 2 or 3 times that amount then it's worth it.

10 years from now when you're browsing with super crisp text that is sharper than the text from a traditional book and look back at the old days, you will wonder how you could ever post that comment.
There is currently not enough visual difference between the two, for me to make that statement. And my eyes will probably be worse in 10 years. I'm more interested in whether you will maintain that statement, in 10 years when your eyesight has failed a bit.

When GPU's under $500 can do 60fps on High I'll go 4K.
Yeah that's the catch isn't it? Running an overclocked HD7950 and I can't get decent FPS on BF4 at 1920x1080 let alone native monitor resolution of 2560x1440. So it would be interesting to see how you'd get decent FPS on a 4K...

@Guest Uneducated? Cool story bro, did you know that ipad non-retina and ipad-retina doesn't even use traditional DPI scaling? If you launch Windows on Retina Mac, it becomes almost unusable due to the small size. Apple gets around it by using HiDPI, which doubles the dimensions of the UI and uses the extra pixels to smooth jaggies.

Until Windows natively supports such a thing, 24inch 4K displays are borderline unusable for generic users.

@Guest Uneducated? Cool story bro, did you know that ipad non-retina and ipad-retina doesn't even use traditional DPI scaling? If you launch Windows on Retina Mac, it becomes almost unusable due to the small size. Apple gets around it by using HiDPI, which doubles the dimensions of the UI and uses the extra pixels to smooth jaggies.

Until Windows natively supports such a thing, 24inch 4K displays are borderline unusable for generic users.
Windows does support native DPI scaling, it's just not as good as Apple's currently, but it's still natively supported.

Yes it has UI DPI scaling, but the the options and limited scope of it means it doesn't apply to all UI elements uniformly. Doesn't work like Mac. :(

Yeah that's the catch isn't it? Running an overclocked HD7950 and I can't get decent FPS on BF4 at 1920x1080 let alone native monitor resolution of 2560x1440. So it would be interesting to see how you'd get decent FPS on a 4K...

Not sure if serious.

Don't really get the push for higher and higher resolutions.....higher resolution does not equal greater realism.....when my games appear as real as a blu-ray movie at 1080p then I'll be happy to push up to higher resolutions....until then lets not waste gpu power on more and more pixels....it's what you do with the pixels in terms lighting, shading and effects that will produce greater realism not just more pixels.

28 inch 4K for sub $1k sounds like a nice compromise vs. 30 inch 1600p monitors today but the price for 31.5/32 inches at $3.5k is way too steep. I am going to wait until there is a GPU with 2.5-3x the power of a GTX780Ti before I upgrade to a 4K monitor, preferably with screen size of 32-37 inches. 4K @ 24 inches is too small for my taste. Good to see Dell entering the marketplace which is bound to put price pressure on other players. Only wish the monitors at this price would be better built, not this plastic border crap.

Ehhh. Way too overpriced. Also, this will need some serious horsepower to game on. The only good application for this currently is graphic design rather than gaming. I bet once we get next generation GPUs, gaming at 4K will be easier.

Even with Graphic Design, a normal IPS will be just fine.

technogiant You're assuming that the target market for 4K 24 inch monitors is gamers. Your assumption is incorrect.

Workstation monitors have had high resolution specialty displays for a long time. There is a requirement for this, the technology is advancing, so the monitors are being released.

Back