TechSpot

Dell laptop - Explorer.exe error message

By Dishman
Aug 10, 2006
  1. Hi,
    New-- first post so forgive errors and being a real novice. Have a Dell laptop with XP. Boots up to point of asking for user's password. When entered it proceeds only to point of displaying an error message saying "Explorer.exe application error, failed to initialize properly. Click to close. There is no "desktop" shown but the screen is black except upper half is a large white box with the user's name in it which was apparently set up by the user.
    It will boot in safe mode but don't really know what to look for... you get a destop and can access programs, etc in safe mode. When I went to "System" and "System Restore" tab, the box was checked that says to "Disable" this function and it cannot be enabled without doing a normal bootup and then unchecking the box. Well, can't do that since it won't boot normally. Running in circles here.
    What suggestions do you have to help me... need to be led by the hand as I am still really "green" at PC troublshooting.
    Thanks!

2. alidabiri

alidabiri TS Rookie Posts: 441

try to run from start/run box
    type sfc scannow. if there are corrupted system files, this will fix it.

3. Dishman

Dishman TS Rookie Topic Starter

Booted in safe mode, entered sfc scannow in "Run" "Open" box and hit OK.
    Just got a blink of screen and the "Run" box goes away and left with regular desktop.... ie, nothing really happens.

4. alidabiri

alidabiri TS Rookie Posts: 441

you can do a repair install. is there any data on this machine? can you do a fresh install of windows?

5. Dishman

Dishman TS Rookie Topic Starter

There are photo, music and word processor files so reinstalling Windows would have to be last resort and I'm not sure if person has the XP install disc anyway. Did I do the previous step correctly as you asked or did you mean for me to get to a command prompt and enter that sfc scannow?

6. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The reason the sfc scannow command didn`t work is because it was in the wrong syntax.

You should actually type sfc /scannow Note the space after the sfc command and before the forward slash. However, in order to run this, you will need the Windows cd handy, just in case Windows needs any files from the Windows cd.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

7. tekNerd

tekNerd TS Rookie Posts: 40

Since is about sfc I will post my problem here, if u don't mind.
    So, by surprize , starting the other day, for an unknown reason, I am starting to get The Visual C++ Runtime Error and only if I am trying to open a folder. If I am opening a file is working normally.
    Now, i scanned and scanned, nothing is found on the computer. I am talking about malware in every virus, spyware or how the actual form is called. This house is clean.
    I tried the sfc /scannow but I get this error . of course I tried the rezolution, but with no pozitive answer.
    I now use as my file manager, ExplorerXP. It works.
    Could be my problem from one of the explorer extensions I have? It seems that I can't uninstall the UploadExpress extension and I was wondering if this could get corrupted somehow and do this error?
    Hope that makes sense and u can help me (other things besides format, fresh install or repair install)!
    Thanks a lot for your help!
    Peace out!

8. tekNerd

Ok, my bad!
    It seems that sfc /scannow it's working now and the error that I had was 'cause it was disabled in the registry! I am with stupid, sorry about that!
    Anywho, running the sfc didn't solved the explorer.exe error.

Peace out!

9. tekNerd

I uninstalled the latest updates from microsoft, and I could uninstall UploadExpress, but this doesn't solve my problem.

10. tekNerd

Yuhu, the problem solved! Not sure what it was, but I actually am very happy. It's annoying not to know how I did it, but is great anyway.
    Thanks for...anything!

Later with more windows problems!

Peace out!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.