TechSpot

Dell Latitude D600 not running a full processor speed

By mmagic4u
Oct 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Dell Latitude D600 it's a 1.4 ghz pentium M is running at 600 mhz I installed a larger hard drive I don't know if that would make a difference. Please help Thanks

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

What are you using to test the speeds? It was never a high speed laptop in the first place, but it has always been a darn good and reliable one.

Large hard drive can make a difference if it is 100 GB or larger... using the Dell version of Windows... the system wastes too much time checking empty space.

Be sure you have WXP SP2 installed, but hold back on WXP SP3, as SP3 protects Microsoft, but slows down an already slow laptop.

3. mmagic4u

mmagic4u TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have a 320gb hard drive is there any i could do so the system does not check the empty space? I had SP2 it was doing the same thing i just recently upgraded to SP3

4. raybay

Assuming you have defragmented the hard drive periodically, it will calm down...
    This is often a problem with older computers using Windows XP and larger drives than the expected 40, 60, or 80 GB drives.
    The Latitude D600 is not as bad as the D400 and D600... but once it becomes accustomed to the larger size, you should find it runs better... but watch out when it becomes more full and compacted... when it has only 50 or 40 gb left, it will slow down more.

5. mmagic4u

mmagic4u TS Rookie Topic Starter

Dell Latitude D600 still not running a full processor speed

Dell Latitude D600 not running a full processor speed
    I have a Dell Latitude D600 it's a 1.4 ghz pentium M is running at 600 mhz I installed a larger hard drive I don't know if that would make a difference. Please help Thanks

6. raybay

How did you test the speed...
    Did this happen directly after you installed the larger hard drive.
    Have you cleaned out all cooling channels?
    How much memory is installed, and does all that memory show up when you run an inventory program such as Everest or Belarc Advisor.
    I would download the free Belarc Advisor, and see how accurately it lists all of your hardware and software components

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.