Dell latitude L400

By Wilier
Feb 24, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ive got one of the above, but its Vid card is substandard*. Its an ATI rage mobility 4 (count 'em)mb jobbie.

Is there anyway on this earth that I can improve the graphics capabilities of this machine???

CS in software mode sucks.

* Edited by moderator
  2. uncleel

uncleel Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,145

3. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

I love No. 1 on ATI's website.

1. What Does ATI RAGE MOBILITY 128 Bring to Notebooks?

No-Compromise desktop performance

Hey Uncleel, is there anyway he could assign more ram for video usage to get more performance.
  4. Wilier

Wilier Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

hmmm, yeah thatd be nice if I could.

Im stuck with this thing basically, work gave it me and wouldnt listen to my plees for something worthwhile.
  5. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,536   +92

I feel your pain....

I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 with 8mb version of the ATI Rage Mobility. I used to have ok performance but my work upgraded everything to W2k. Dell supply no drivers so I can no longer use OpenGL mode in CS. I can only use software which gives me under 20 fps. Sucky. Hopefully I will get a new laptop soon.
  6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

To replace the video card in a laptop probably requires you replace the entire system board in it.

You may be able to allocate more memory via the BIOS on boot up (You'll have to press a certain key when the computer shows the first screen probably). I doubt the benefit of this however, because it is all using your system memory. Even though you have "4mb" dedicated system memory for your video, your notebook probably draws extra video memory from your system memory when it needs it. While this is always looked upon as a bad thing by desktop users with dedicated video memory, it shouldn't effect you much since your video chip only runs at system memory speed to start with.

Basically, I don' think increasing dedicated memory will boost performance much, if at all. If you want to try it though, it's definitely worth a shot.
  7. uncleel

8. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,285   +262

9. uncleel

Dell® Precision™ Workstation M40 $3,505.85

Sure, $3500 buys alot.

10. Arris

Well hopefully my work will replace my 366Mhz PII laptop soon.
    Hopefully it will be with this model :
    http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/uk/enu/dhs/products/model_inspn_inspn_8200.htm
    With Gf4 GO 440 64mb or ATI 64mb

Not quite as mad as LNCPapas new workstation (£3,134.90(incl. VAT (tax) & Del) in the UK!!!!!, thats $4,459.40... Almost a thousand more than in the US!!!!) but a very welcome upgrade from my current machine.
  11. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

I thought I got the best when I ordered a laptop with the Geforce2Go 32mb. Now the new ones are already available. Technology changes way to quickly.

12. Arris

At last...

Get this after 2 and a half years with this laptop I get an upgrade :hot:

366PII to 1700P4

10GB to 30G

ATI Rage Mobility 8mb to Geforce4GO 32 or 64mb.....

Quite an upgrade if you ask me.
    Although knowing dells ordering system it will probably be weeks before I get it :(
  13. hollatdawg@yaho

hollatdawg@yaho Newcomer, in training

unlocking help please

my sister has a dell latitude but the harddrive/disk is locked how can i unlock it? thanx in advance
  14. Real_DeaL311

Real_DeaL311 Newcomer, in training

dell sucks, i owned 2 myself, they always gave me trouble, vuston build is the way to go these days, i hate that oem crap lol
  15. Paragon33

Paragon33 Newcomer, in training Posts: 343

Try these folks for a moderate fee link removed Be advised that they can not unlock IBMs or post-merger Hitachis. I have used them a few times with success on other brands
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.