Dell latitude L400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got one of the above, but its Vid card is substandard*. Its an ATI rage mobility 4 (count 'em)mb jobbie.

Is there anyway on this earth that I can improve the graphics capabilities of this machine???

CS in software mode sucks.

* Edited by moderator

I love No. 1 on ATI's website.

1. What Does ATI RAGE MOBILITY 128 Bring to Notebooks?

No-Compromise desktop performance

Hey Uncleel, is there anyway he could assign more ram for video usage to get more performance.

hmmm, yeah thatd be nice if I could.

Im stuck with this thing basically, work gave it me and wouldnt listen to my plees for something worthwhile.

I feel your pain....

I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 with 8mb version of the ATI Rage Mobility. I used to have ok performance but my work upgraded everything to W2k. Dell supply no drivers so I can no longer use OpenGL mode in CS. I can only use software which gives me under 20 fps. Sucky. Hopefully I will get a new laptop soon.

To replace the video card in a laptop probably requires you replace the entire system board in it.

You may be able to allocate more memory via the BIOS on boot up (You'll have to press a certain key when the computer shows the first screen probably). I doubt the benefit of this however, because it is all using your system memory. Even though you have "4mb" dedicated system memory for your video, your notebook probably draws extra video memory from your system memory when it needs it. While this is always looked upon as a bad thing by desktop users with dedicated video memory, it shouldn't effect you much since your video chip only runs at system memory speed to start with.

Basically, I don' think increasing dedicated memory will boost performance much, if at all. If you want to try it though, it's definitely worth a shot.

Dell® Precision™ Workstation M40 $3,505.85

Sure, $3500 buys alot.

LCD Display 15" UXGA active matrix (TFT) display
Native resolution2 of 1600x1200 pixels, 16 million colors

NVidia Quadro2 Go 256-bit, 4X AGP video chipset
32MB DDR video memory
Fast anti-aliased lines
TwinView dual display

Audio controller: ESS Maestro 3i
Audio type: Sound Blaster Emulation
Stereo: 16-bit (analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion)

I thought I got the best when I ordered a laptop with the Geforce2Go 32mb. Now the new ones are already available. Technology changes way to quickly.

At last...

Get this after 2 and a half years with this laptop I get an upgrade :hot:

366PII to 1700P4

10GB to 30G

ATI Rage Mobility 8mb to Geforce4GO 32 or 64mb.....

Quite an upgrade if you ask me.
Although knowing dells ordering system it will probably be weeks before I get it :(

dell sucks, i owned 2 myself, they always gave me trouble, vuston build is the way to go these days, i hate that oem crap lol

hollatdawg@yaho said:
my sister has a dell latitude but the harddrive/disk is locked how can i unlock it? thanx in advance

Try these folks for a moderate fee link removed Be advised that they can not unlock IBMs or post-merger Hitachis. I have used them a few times with success on other brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back