Dell reportedly cancels unique OLED monitor

Scorpus

Staff member

Back at CES 2016 more than a year ago, Dell showed off the UP3017Q, an impressive 30-inch 4K OLED monitor for professionals. The display was first expected to go on sale in March of 2016, but the end of March came and went without any official release. In July, Dell was reportedly still "tuning" the monitor and claimed it would be available "soon".

Since the middle of last year, there have been no further updates from Dell on the status of the UP3017Q. However, according to French publication Les Numeriques (via The Tech Report), Dell officials at CES 2017 confirmed the monitor was canceled.

The reason behind this cancellation revolves around image quality issues, specifically color drift when the monitor was viewed off-center. Dell worked to resolve these issues over several months, but ultimately couldn't come up with a suitable solution. In the end, the monitor didn't meet Dell's standards and was cancelled.

Considering the monitor's exorbitant $5,000 price tag, it was probably a good move on Dell's part not to release the display in a less-than-ideal state. On the other hand, the UP3017Q would have been a very unique monitor, packing a 10-bit 4K 120 Hz OLED panel with a 400,000:1 contrast ratio, and support for 97.8% of the DCI-P3 color space.

Permalink to story.

Wow, 4k, good color accuracy, and 120 Hz. Shame it was canceled, it sounds like it would have been the best all around monitor for those who use their workstation also as their game station.

"Considering the monitor's exorbitant $5,000 price tag, it was probably a good move on Dell's part not to release the display in a less-than-ideal state".
A slight under exaggeration if I ever read one. For that price I'd expect nothing less than perfection and shares in the company, if not outright ownership.

Wow, 4k, good color accuracy, and 120 Hz. Shame it was canceled, it sounds like it would have been the best all around monitor for those who use their workstation also as their game station.

Of course, the problem was they couldn't crack the color accuracy. I also doubt it would have had the response time gamers are looking for. CAD monitors usually come in at well above 10ms.

But I agree that it is a shame that it was canceled - it would have filled a spot that has been empty in the market for some time.

It's all well and good to promise something awesome... quite another to deliver... at least this got cancelled so that no one had to spend $5000 on crap...

I'm sure they'll eventually come out with something just as good - or better - we'll just have to wait...

I'm curious about the 120Hz... was that just a benefit of OLED or did they have to make sacrifices to push to that? Do professionals need 120Hz? Genuine questions btw.

No... But I did notice the lack of grammatical sense in this sentence... What does this mean?
A sentence on the internet with grammatical errors, that's unheard of... It means that both "canceled" and "cancelled" were used, which are normally used in either the US or UK respectively.

A sentence on the internet with grammatical errors, that's unheard of... It means that both "canceled" and "cancelled" were used, which are normally used in either the US or UK respectively.
So what you SHOULD have said was... "Did anyone else notice the use of both the UK 'canceled' and US 'cancelled'?"

Or some such... what YOU said made no sense :)

Back