TechSpot

Dell says Alienware Steam Machine will be their least profitable system ever

By Shawn Knight
May 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Earlier this year, Valve showed off more than a dozen Steam Machines covering a wide range of shapes, sizes and price points. While it's no doubt good for Valve (and ultimately, the consumer) to have so many companies buying into...

Read more

2. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 865   +434

I say let the market compete!

Auth3ntic0 likes this.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

Tough. Blame the aliens, "E.T. made me do it".

4. theBest11778

theBest11778 TS Addict Posts: 234   +69

They should have a low, med, and high-end tier. But I agree that Valve, in conjunction with developers, should set standards for each using both AMD builds, and Nvidia.

TadMSTR likes this.
  5. It's the law a natural selection; several different designs are put out into the market and the ones that achieve the right balance of performance, features, quality, price win out. Or it's like a real life video game, where coming up with the right strategy allows you to win the day. In any event, more choice is a good thing.

TadMSTR likes this.
  6. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,290   +239

Let them fight

Auth3ntic0 likes this.
  7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I think Valve should just release their own and be done with it. There arent many games for Linux anyways.

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,558   +2,900

Valve has no control over someone else building a Steam Box. A standard PC with Steam OS being free to the public. Anyone is free to make their own Steam Box. But I'm sure if they wanted to they could patent Steam OS and charge OEM's for building boxes to minimize all the variations.

Auth3ntic0, St1ckM4n and Jad Chaar like this.
  9. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I doubt Valve would do that but if they do, it will probably occur when Steam OS has matured.

10. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,953   +162

Let me resell my games!

11. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

Don't care, I have my SteamBox already.

12. Hankhendrix

Hankhendrix TS Enthusiast Posts: 26   +7

So which is better? Alienware, or the rest of the market? Well, there is only one way to find out, FIGHT!!!

Auth3ntic0 and Runt1me like this.
  13. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,324   +711

That movie was such a letdown.

14. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,290   +239

Heh, yah but I went in with no expectations, so I enjoyed it. I only figured it had to be better than the last Godzilla. It's already got a sequel slated, so maybe they'll bring on Mothra or something and ramp it up. No more need for long character development.

15. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,058

What Alienware are trying to say is that they're unable to overprice it as much as they'd like but they're still going to give give it a damn good shot so expect to see them still 'generously' overpriced..

16. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,457   +606

I loved how they built up the anticipation.
    The movie would have been boring if all you saw was monsters fighting.
    I will admit they could have shown a little more G but it was budget limited too.

The MUTO's looked great/terrifying and Cranston did a great job.
    The scene where they HALO jump is one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever seen in a monster movie. It raked in 500+ Million worldwide and I can't wait for Godzilla 2 and Godzilla Vs Kong.