Dell shows 11" Alienware gaming notebook, more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Dell's been busy at CES, announcing various product refreshes and new devices. Most of the updates include Inspiron and Studio XP systems built around Intel's Core i3 and Core i5 processors, which isn't anything more than you'd expect -- but a few gems stand out.

The company has revealed an 11-inch Alienware gaming notebook, claiming it to be the "first ultra-mobile gaming laptop." The Alienware M11x is capable of playing games and videos at 720p, with up to 6.5 hours of battery life in "battery mode" and 2 hours when in "gaming mode."

The system can switch between integrated and Nvidia GT335M graphics. According to Gizmodo, the M11x can attain 50FPS in Crysis, and scores about 6,000 to 7,000 in 3DMark. It should ship later this year for under a grand.

Dell's 5-inch "Streak" slate prototype has been spotted at CES as well, but the company is keeping quiet on details. It supposedly runs on Android, supports a SIM card, and may come in larger sizes.

Permalink to story.

Yeah...

No thanks.

Screen is too small, 50fps with Crysis @ 720p (1280x720/1366x768), CoD @50fps with high settings.
You'd have to hook this up to an external monitor or a TV to make it playable.

Now they don't say if AA/AF is used, So 720p would look horrible without.

Who are they marketing at?
Hardcore LAN gamers?

Gaming laps are meant to be powerful and a bit bulky.

This is gonna die IMHO

I find this most exciting, you just hook this into an lcd or plasma and there you go gaming wherever you want :p

Guest #2, your humble opinion has been noted and carefully organized into file 13.

I see a sub $1000 gaming notebook having HUGE potential. Especially one that is aimed at those that travel alot. I know I would love to have a smaller notebook that was capable of running my memory hog graphics programs like Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max, as well as being light enough to take on long trips.

I saw this earlier and I just can't see this really taking off...at least atm.

I mean ya its smaller then the normal gaming laptop, but if you want to really game on the go you'll get the bigger and more powerful laptop imo.

Wendig0 said:
Guest #2, your humble opinion has been noted and carefully organized into file 13.

I see a sub $1000 gaming notebook having HUGE potential. Especially one that is aimed at those that travel alot. I know I would love to have a smaller notebook that was capable of running my memory hog graphics programs like Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max, as well as being light enough to take on long trips.

That's great for your situation, but honestly can you say there is a huge demand in that market? I mean I could see it going well for people in your situation needing something more compact, powerful and travel lots. But I don't see a huge market in the long run. Gamers imo who need something will go for the better laptop.

I agree with Wendig0. People who don't get the appeal of this are probably those who still think that netbooks will never have any sales. That laptop sound perfect for truly mobile gaming, something that's sorely lacking at the small form factor. It still weighs a little more than I'd like, but it's not bad.

If you want to travel and game, get a PSP or DS or something - cheaper and fits in your pocket. I can't see "gaming" and "11in notebook" being compatible with each other...

I personally can't see myself ever wanting one of these, but I'd be interested to see if Dell makes a good number of sales from it.

slh28 said:
If you want to travel and game, get a PSP or DS or something - cheaper and fits in your pocket. I can't see "gaming" and "11in notebook" being compatible with each other...

I agree. Gaming and 11in definitely do not go together.

ET3D said:
I agree with Wendig0. People who don't get the appeal of this are probably those who still think that netbooks will never have any sales. That laptop sound perfect for truly mobile gaming, something that's sorely lacking at the small form factor. It still weighs a little more than I'd like, but it's not bad.

How did you come to this conclusion? Netbooks are awesome and have there place, but the way they seem to target gamers seems misplaced imo. I might have been a bit harsh but among gaming friends I have who DO travel and use laptops prefer the more powerful bulky model.

to small screen for any gaming above minesweeper.... and how hot is this unit gonna get ...really.

totally pointless

11 inches and gaming don't go together. Who seriously needs to have games with them everywhere they go? Its getting a little sad.

How did you come to this conclusion? Netbooks are awesome and have there place, but the way they seem to target gamers seems misplaced imo. I might have been a bit harsh but among gaming friends I have who DO travel and use laptops prefer the more powerful bulky model.

Misplaced? Maybe so, though I know plenty of gamers that can't afford the high end $3000 gaming laptops that you're talking about. I see this selling alot of units, regardless of what the techspot community thinks. I'll be one of them.

I won't be dedicating it to gaming as much as I will 3ds max, and demos of my company's software when I travel to other firms, though it will come in handy for gaming in a pinch.

[name=Willis]

My guess would be that serious gamers would like this one as an extra, considering the price.
The real gamers would most likely have a desktop as a primary.

I'm in the same spot as Wendig0, I'm in the train to work for 1,5 hours and like to do some 3Ds Max too. I'm getting a little fed up dragging my Dell 17" M90 in my Haliburton DZ7 laptopcase along. :)

The haters on this apparently think the market for new computer technology doesn't reach past the 10' circle of ego surrounding them. This has enormous potential and I think will drive new models and competition into this niche.

I have been working overseas for the past 3 years and travel frequently and extensively. I must have a laptop, so I've always believed it's worth having a gaming capable model for relieving the stress of travel. That's meant nothing less than 15" and upwards of 6-7 lbs. of techno brick in my shoulder bag everywhere I go.

I have been searching for something exactly like the M11x for the past 18 months. I will be the first in line. I am configuring my pre-order now.

Anyone, make me an offer on a slightly used but practically new Acer 5739G. Just purchased in August. Great rig. tvtripper@yahoo.com

I agree, it definitely has potential. You can take this just about anywhere. Here is one example - you go over to your buddy's house and want to do a bit of gaming, but you don't want to haul your 45lb water cooled full tower over there, and since you bought that beast and spec'd it out you can't afford a $2500 gaming laptop. So you take this little thing over, bring a mouse, and connect it to one of his old monitors. Put on some headphones and you are set.

I personally can't enjoy games when the screen is too small. The thing is that it looks like a waste having awesome hardwares, but a tiny screen. However, that thing sure looks handy. At worst, I guess you could simply hook it up on a TV and there you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back