Dell Studio 1536 HD issues after update

Hey, has anyone ever heard of this? I have a Dell laptop that told me it needed to update my video drivers, so I did and all hell broke loose. I couldn't run AVG, everything was bogged down and it took FOREVER to open folders or files. I tried restore it but all restores points were gone, and I tried using Dell CDs to restore the HD put it keep failing. I finally had to pull the drive out and hook it by USB to another system (also running AVG) and scanned it. It said I had only two virii, both Win32/Heur in the updated ATI drivers. After it scanned I used AVG on the desktop computer to quarantine the files and heal them. It told me it couldn't because they longer existed. Then when I tried to look at the contents of that partition, it was blank. When I put it back in the laptop, it tried to boot but fails saying no bootable media exists. Now multiple errors are popping up with other hardware on the system.

I hooked it back up to the desktop and I can still see the drive but no files? Any clues on what I've done?

I posted in the virus and malware forum but they said it looked like a windows issue.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

TD

Sorry I can't give any log files but they're just vanished...

You will probably have to purchase a Dell restore disc for your model laptop and do a fresh install of Windows

Thanks for the reply

Thank you for responding. While I've been posting and and hoping for some info, I actually tried that and it doesn't recognize the Dell recovery CD. It says something about no optical drivers or something. But it will read and try to go into setup from an old windows XP version I have so I know the drive is still good. This is the most puzzling thing I've ever run into? Have you ever heard of Win32/Heur causing this much damage when AVG tried to remove it? The drive while I had it hooked up to my desktop by USB started throwing error messages about Delayed write failure while I was trying to back up the D Recovery partition, but those files still appear to be there. The main drive is the only one that appears blank, but it appears formated because I can open it through the USB/Desktop connection.

AVG is not one of my favorite Antivirus programs... Is the CD/DVD drive really any good? It may read CD's but not DVD's. The XP install disc is a CD. The Dell recovery disc may be a DVD. Also, the Dell recovery disc MUST be for your Dell model's laptop

Back