Dell unveils 27-inch UltraSharp AH-IPS display, costs $799

Jos

Staff

Dell has released a successor to its highly-regarded UltraSharp U2711 monitor. First unveiled on Dell’s Japanese and Australian sites, the U2713HM is the company’s first display to use AH-IPS (advanced high-performance IPS), which is supposed to offer improved color and clarity over other IPS technologies.

Like other 27-inch monitors, Dell’s newest UltraSharp offers a 2560x1440 display resolution. Dell claims the panel features a color gamut of more than 99-percent sRGB, while offering a maximum brightness of 350 cd/m2, and a grey-to-grey response time of 8ms, which is slightly slower than its predecessor’s 6ms. The same 178/178 degree wide viewing angle is maintained as well as the anti-glare coating.

dell ultrasharp -ips

Connectivity options include four USB 3.0 ports, dual-link DVI, DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI, and VGA. All ports are located on the back and to the side to keep the monitor’s clean looks. And speaking of clean, Dell touts the U2713HM as environmentally friendly, with its chasis reportedly made of 25% post-consumer recycled plastics, as well as providing a 37% reduction in energy consumption compared to the U2711.

Dell has yet to announce an official release date and price for the US. The company’s Australian website has it listed for just shy of $800 AUD ($845 USD); it’s probably safe to assume it’ll hit the states at $799 too.

Permalink to story.

They should have left out the VGA port :p

How long before it is being sold under its MSRP by Amazon and others?

I might pick up a couple of these. I've needed to upgrade my monitors for quite a while now.

Does it have the same coating as the old model(IIRC) and others such as apples 27" offerings? The colors them selves looked great but the coating made everything look fuzzy.

Does it have the same coating as the old model(IIRC) and others such as apples 27" offerings? The colors them selves looked great but the coating made everything look fuzzy.
I don't even notice the coating on my U3011. At first I did...for about 30 seconds... It's by far the clearest, sharpest monitor I have ever owned and has also turned out to be a smooth, accurate crisp gamer. Nearly as smooth as my 24" 120Hz but its overall experience (including gaming) dwarfs my 24" 120Hz and makes it look/feel like a kids toy.
Most people who make coating or ghosting comments are junk, biased unsupported whiny comments from people who have never compared these types of monitors side by side.

I'd be interested in this if it weren't for the 8ms response time. I use my system primarily for gaming and for a high-end monitor, don't think that will cut it.

I'd be interested in this if it weren't for the 8ms response time. I use my system primarily for gaming and for a high-end monitor, don't think that will cut it.

lol can you really tell the difference between a 8ms monitor and a 6ms monitor with your eyes?

No, I'm sure no one can tell a 2ms difference just on it's own. But 8ms is pushing the envelope for ghosting to occur in fast-action games. And if you're going to drop $800 on a monitor, I'm pretty sure you don't want to experience ghosting.

I don't even notice the coating on my U3011. At first I did...for about 30 seconds... It's by far the clearest, sharpest monitor I have ever owned and has also turned out to be a smooth, accurate crisp gamer. Nearly as smooth as my 24" 120Hz but its overall experience (including gaming) dwarfs my 24" 120Hz and makes it look/feel like a kids toy.
Most people who make coating or ghosting comments are junk, biased unsupported whiny comments from people who have never compared these types of monitors side by side.

The coating was only on the 27" dell monitors and I believe the 27" apple cinema used the same panel at the time. It was puzzling to a lot of consumers because it really took away from the quality of the screen. It didn't use the normal matte finish on the 24" and 30". Just wondering if dell has changed that on their current 27" monitor.

I've always been curious just how high you can go before you get ghosting in fast paced games.

No, I'm sure no one can tell a 2ms difference just on it's own. But 8ms is pushing the envelope for ghosting to occur in fast-action games. And if you're going to drop $800 on a monitor, I'm pretty sure you don't want to experience ghosting.

I always thought input lag was more important than response time when it comes to that.

I just bought 3 24" U2412Ms for $30 (AUD) more than that $800 asking price :D

Loving my new monitors!

I will come across as a douche here, but that isn't really my intention.

That is a 2ms difference. You think you can percieve that and act on it? If so, then sure that makes a difference. What about the other components in your system and the variability in responsiveness in them. Perhaps its a horrible example, I honestly don't know, but I can pingtest and speedtest my connection at any time and do it many times in a row, and there is a pretty high variability, pingtest does it in ms and indeed there are way bigger than 2ms differences. Perhaps games compensate for this? I don't know, honestly.

So in my uninformed mind, I think a 8 to 6ms response time in a monitor isn't going to make you a different gamer.

SNGX: It does not work like that, input lag is what you would have a problem with in gaming, that is how long the monitor takes to post process the image before it even starts rendering it.

The Grey to Grey response time as listed in the specifications (input lag is mostly never even listed in the specs) controls how quickly the monitor renders an image, so if you are in a game and make a quick turn you might see ghosting because the monitor is not able to render the scene as quickly as you turn.

I wrote about this topic some time ago:
https://www.techspot.com/blog/645/a...y-and-what-to-look-for-on-your-next-purchase/

Good to know. Thanks Per. And you have to know, TS readers don't always read everything TS staff/mods want them to read.

The Funny part is these monitors are made for graphic design not gaming. These monitors are to produce colors to a higher spec. You would not notice anything different in a game on a high end $300+ monitor than on these for $800

Back