Dell Venue 8 7000 Review: A surprisingly solid Android tablet

Shawn Knight

Staff member

dell venue review android dell tablet venue 8 7000

Today's tablet selection is vastly different compared to what was offered half a decade ago when they were new and awkward. Android is all grown up and tablets now have a defined purpose backed by a deep ecosystem of apps. The hardware is equally as impressive as components like high-resolution displays and quad-core processors are the norm.

Hoping to highlight how far the industry has come is the new Dell Venue 8 7000. First shown off at the Intel Developer Forum last year, the new Venue 8 arrived to U.S. store shelves about a month ago with a unique form factor and a chassis that’s thinner than any other tablet in the market.

The device is powered by Intel’s Atom Z3580 quad-core processor with a burst frequency of 2.33GHz and an Intel HD Graphics (PowerVR G6430) GPU alongside 2GB of DDR3 RAM and 16GB of flash memory. Wireless connectivity includes Intel’s 7260 1x1ac 801.11ac and Bluetooth 4.0.

Read the complete review.

$400 for a pile of pointless gimmicks and a screen you can find on tablets costing $100 less (or cheaper)? Sorry, this is a fail on every level.

$400 for a pile of pointless gimmicks and a screen you can find on tablets costing $100 less (or cheaper)? Sorry, this is a fail on every level.
I sort of agree, especially with the cameras.

Also, the review has a typo; pretty sure the 720p cameras are not 80cm apart...

Exactly my same thoughts!

This device does look really nice, however, tablets like these are really just good for couch surfing, way to expensive for that. Wouldn't buy it, but wouldn't mind it as a gift neither.

TechSpot seem to be reviewing a lot of Dell items recently...

I don't think it deserves the lashing its getting in the aforementioned comments but I do agree the $400 price tag is a bit of a brand name chest pounder.
For example, Acer have an Iconia 8" tablet for $200 and with that you get an Intel Atom Z3745 Quad Core, 2GB RAM, 1200P WUXGA display, 16GB Onboard Storage + MicroSD Expansion, with Kit Kat.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9496576&CatId=6957

Now if the 7000 was $279 or so I could see it becoming a hit but at that price it will be just another lost, overpriced tablet.
Just my .02.

With a speaker on top as well (like the HTC M8), it would have been ideal for movies.

Great hardware! Now if this had Windows on it I would have bought it the day it came out.

Have never been a fan of Android, especially on tablets.

I can't tell from the pics how big it is, or how thin. If I had the 3-d camera feature, though, I could use that measurement feature and find out!

Back