Dell Video Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DellLatitudeUsr

Ok, I'll cut to the chase. I'm p/off because I JUST got a new Dell Latitude laptop, but the DVD player won't work. (My audio didn't work either, but a member here cleared that up for me!)- Everyone knows what the prob is- something about the device controller or whatever. Specifically:

-"Windows cannot play the DVD because a compatible decoder is not installed on your computer."

-Dell Latitude D510 with WinXP Pro SP2- (the disk doesn't have the drivers)

Bascially, I need a link, because I've googled 4ever. Thanks anyone.

Um, it lists a lot of Audio files... not much video- is that needed for video? My audio is fine- also, when I went to install a file, it said I needed a Windows Whistler CD, which I don't have- all I have is an OEM XP Pro disk.

When you go into Device Manager Sound Video and Game Controllers do you have a 'Video Codecs' entry at all?

If you do, have you tried to update the driver using that?

??

I have Video Codecs.
Quick question: if yesterday the Mutlimedia Audio Controller needed a driver downloaded, does ths one too? (Video Controller?)

I thought I pointed that out to you yesterday - bottom one on the list?

No?

:)

edit: and did you install the chipset drivers ? on the list also and SHOULD have been first install.

You followed this procedure:

To install drivers from the internet:

go into Windows Explorer, left click on Desktop, then File, then New and then Folder - name the folder XXXDrivers (where XXX = type, eg, AudioDrivers)

go to the site for your driver, find the RIGHT one for your mobo and OS,(click on the nearest site to you if appropriate) and then download button - when asked where to 'save' the download specify your desktop folder XXXDrivers and wait until the download is complete.

Once it is done, clear your screen and click on the desktop folder and then on the file inside - if it is a zip or rar file it will need to be unzipped or unpacked - make sure if you are asked to specify where to unzip/unpack to tell it to do so to the XXXDrivers folder.

Once you are done that, uninstall the old drivers for the device and then select the device and specify update drivers and direct the search to the folder you made (don't let Windows do it).

sorry :) heh. hey would it help if i gave you my specific Intel info like I did last time?

Won't these media players also need a video controller? I'm scared to download them forever and them still need a Video Controller. Also, my laptop cannot connect to the net, so I was hoping I could fix it without direct connection with the actual laptop. I'm using my other pc.

OMG!! I am sorry! That stuff you told me to do DID fix the controller! But it turns out that my PC doesn't come with a decoder! I have Windows Media Player 9, and when I read the help, it said that Windows by default doesn't have decoders! Do you know where I can downlaod one??!

Well, I am outa ideas - that site I referenced has a ton of codec packages - like always, should you or your team be captured, we will disavow you.

Ya know what I am saying bro? I am stumped!

Sorry. :(

SUPER SUPER news friend! I found a program to decode the DVD on WinMedPlayer 9, and it worked! Thanks for helping me fix my Video Controller and helping me figure out stuff about decoders/links. Very helpful! Big smiles!!

I downloaded a program called "FFDShow".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back