Dell will use AMD processors, sooner or later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Sure we have heard about it a million times from hundreds of sources, when AMD's CEO, Hector Ruiz, makes such a bold statement though it's quite a different story...

I'm all in for competition and I hope the best for AMD to gain some more market, it's obvious (though not confirmed) that Intel and Dell have a very juicy agreement going on by which the PC manufacturer has kept its Intel-only product line...

At an event here Thursday marking the one-year anniversary of the launch of the processor, Ruiz, chairman and CEO of Opteron maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc., said it's in Dell's nature to follow industry trends, and as more customers push for Opteron-based systems, Dell will surely jump into the fray. "I've always thought that Dell does not like to be a leader in technology, that they were a strong follower," said Ruiz, speaking to more than 100 business partners, reporters and analysts. "But I didn't realize they were going to be dead last [with Opteron]."

christ on a bicyle? Sorry man, Christ wouldnt have to ride a bike, infact, the computer wouldnt need a power source if God was controlling it like that....

the people buying dells would probably buy intel anyways because they are wondering why amd's have lower MHz's. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by BrownPaper
the people buying dells would probably buy intel anyways because they are wondering why amd's have lower MHz's. :rolleyes:

Exactly! Alot of people I talk to say Intel owns AMD.

For example:

Me: "I use AMD"
Dumb: "I use Intel, AMD sucks... look, my processor runs at 3.0Ghz, and your 3000+ AMD XP processor runs at 2.16Ghz! Mine pwnzers yours by almost a whole GHz!!!! Haha... you'll need a 4600+ to get to 3.0GHz probably... haha!!!"
Me: "*****..."

This good more some more options to the cooperate market though, this sounds good to me although I would never buy a Dell Desktop for myself;)

Dell, Gateway, E-Machines, HP. Compaq..................there are all built with as many shortcuts as they can sneak by the 'stupid' consumner!
Sorry, I call a spade a spade. Anyone that buys a pre-built box doesn't have a clue what is REALLY inside (or should I say isn't inside)!

You guys are really quick to criticize such companies but have you ever tried doing a similar configuration as the ones offered by any of these companies & add a profit-margin on top & still come up with a cheaper price ?

Last I heard those were companies that rely on profit to pay all their expenses. If they simply sold the hardware at the price they bought it themselves, they wouldn't last long. Not to mention that they offer technical support & parts replacements at least for a limited time.

If you build a PC for a friend, it's OK for you to do a 0% profit on it but it's no way to run a company.

I'm not a fan of Compaq PCs & such but I don't bash on them because we all have to make a living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back