Dell wireless card software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ididmyc600

So a while back I bought a lat C600, its a good laptop (was I just sold it) before it went I changed from a PCMCIA WIFI NIC to a neat little internal Mini PCI Broadcom NIC, installation went a bit ****eyed as the Dell Wireless Utility install decided I didnt have the correct hardware installed (???), however I just pointed the add new hardware wizard at the driver location and it installed quite happily, albeit without the Dell Wireless utility, however as the OS is XP I just used the windows zero config to enable the card and all was good.

So whats my problem, well my 2 kids also have Lat C600's ( i do like them a lot) and my sons PCMCIA card was a bit buggred so I decided to invest in another MiniPCI card, from the same place i bought the last one and identical in everyway.

I installed the card by pointing the add new hardware wizard at the driver location and the card installed, again, with no problem.

However his laptop has Windows 2000 on it, and this of course does not have the windows zero config.

So i googled and found the link to download the Dell Utility program for wireless NIC's, I checked my card was supported and proceeded to download it, 52 MB in all and a slow 64K download speed.

But again I got the message about " no suitable hardware installed" and the software wouldnt install, this left me in a bit of a quandary, I cant use the card as 2K doesnt have WZC and I cant find the software needed.

In the end I swapped the card into my daughters machine which has XP on it and gave my son the PCMCIA NIC that was in her's.

I ask you, does Dell do a Wireless Utility program for the broadcom 1435 wireless mini PCI Nic, or am I going to be forced to upgrade the laptop to XP ( i see Bill Gates rubbing his hands together).

Or do Microshaft do an equivalent of the WZC for windows 2K

Go ahead and upgrade the 2K laptop to XP, and "a neat little internal Mini PCI Broadcom NIC" was probably not necessary. Anyway going from 2K to XP should do the trick

I'm using Dell Latitude D600 and it uses Intel PRO (R)/Wireless 2100.

You can figure this out by opening up the WiFi cover from bottom of laptop and a picture of it would be nice.

The Dell utility won't work anymore because you are using a different adapter.

I had a quick look on the Broadcom site, but can find no 1435 listed.

Here is my image. Hope this helps.

All you need is to turn your laptop upside down...

unscrew and open the wifi cover

I need you to give me the first letter and number, beside the Intel Logo.

In this case, my WiFi Is WM3A2100.

P.S. I never knew that timeshift and macro was quite helpful.

Hope this helps.

Tmagic650 said:
Go ahead and upgrade the 2K laptop to XP, and "a neat little internal Mini PCI Broadcom NIC" was probably not necessary. Anyway going from 2K to XP should do the trick

He's happy using 2K and I am not going to upgrade (and pay Bill for another effing key) just because of this, dont think im being rude Tmagic but this is not the sort of answer I am looking for, as for changing to an internal minipci card it worked out cheaper and looks better than a PCMCIA card sticking out the side of the laptop.

Fragrant Coit said:
The Dell utility won't work anymore because you are using a different adapter.

I had a quick look on the Broadcom site, but can find no 1435 listed.

Sorry about that Colt its a 1450 not a 1435, and thats why im puzzled as to why the software that Dell supply wont work, yet it states this model is OK.

Regards

bushwhacker said:
I need you to give me the first letter and number, beside the Intel Logo.

Not sure if you read the thread properly Bushwhacker, its a Broadcom card not an Intel Card...

Regards

My advice.

Don't upgrade to xp yet. my flavor on 2000 is still strongest :)

Well, You said it was Broadcom 1450.

Found the driver.

I went across the ebay by typing.. "Dell wireless"

I noticed the broadcom cards end with "DW1390, DW1490"

I googled DW1450.

Found it from driverguide and uploaded it to rapidshare.

Here is the link. Hope this works.

http://rapidshare.com/files/67866277/R114874.EXE.html

Hi mate

no that didnt work, heres a couple of piccies, this laptop is a dell C600, pic 1 shows the start screen for the install and lists other types of laptop.

The other pics show device manager and the status screen of the card software.

any other ideas, mind you at least your one step closer than I was...

Regards

Are you able to open the WiFi cover and take a picture of it?

Also, the driver is installed properly, but the radio is probably off.

FN + F2 to turn it on.

and reboot.

Hi

Dont have FN + F2 to turn it on on this laptop, its working fine with Windows Zero Config so I assume that its turned on, as for a picture bear with me and i'll edit this post with one.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back