TechSpot

Dell XPS 400 Windows XP pro

By shookiejones
Nov 23, 2005
  1. Hey all-

Hope I am posting in the correct forum.

I just got a new Dell XPS 400 Pentium D out of the box.
    It came with Windows XP Media.
    I wanted to install XP pro which I from my last retired PC straight from Dell.

I booted to the CD and it did it's normal driver loading etc.
    Once it went to the next set up screen: Repair - install - quit. I get no keyboard response and it locks up.
    I went through this a number of times with the same result.
    I thought it was possibly the PCI-EX video card took that out same results.

I TRIED putting the hard drive in another machine with a pentium 4 and it installed without a problem.
    I did update to service pack 2 then ran sysprep and removed the harddrive installed it back into the original machine and now I am in a reboot loop.
    I am at wits end. I don't know if this is XPpro issue, a Pentium D processor issue....Has anybody heard of anything similar occuring?

Help!

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

if your keyboard is USB try a usb to PS\2 adapter or hook a PS\2 keyboard up and try it. I always had problems with dell and usb keyboards when trying to install windows.

3. shookiejones

shookiejones TS Rookie Topic Starter

No ps2 port! The good ole' days are gone forever...hee hee.

I am thinking that the keyboard locking up is merely a syptom and not actually the problem.

There has to be someone who's run into this issue before. I can't possibly be the first....although I guess there's gotta be a first for everything??

4. Gixxed_Spyder

Gixxed_Spyder TS Rookie

HELP! I'm in the same boat!!

I'm having the same EXACT problem with my new Dimension 9150 Pentium D. :mad: Have you come across a solution for this? I am thinking about buying a ps2 pci card and trying to use a ps2 keyboard...

Ideas??

5. shookiejones

Slipstream!

Spyder -

Slipstreamed XP CD. I am at work right now so I don't have the links to the site I used, but there are tons of sites that document the process. Just google Slipstream XP and you'll be all set.

Get that SP2 integrated in there and you'll be all set.
    I was pulling my hair out with this dude...the only good thing is now you won't have to.

I only had one issue and that was that once windows set up started it did not recognize my SATA drive.
    Again I am at work so I don't have the link to the other post I went by but basically what I did was go into the setup menu and change the harddrive detection settings from I believe: raid\sata to raid\ahci or something like that. I apologize for my ignorance here.

Give it a shot and post and let me know how you did.

6. Gixxed_Spyder

Gixxed_Spyder TS Rookie

I'll give it a try

When I get home I'll try that, thanks for the info. I'll post my results later on tonight.

7. shookiejones

How did you make out?

Spyder -

Howja make out?
    Let me know if you need any more info from me and I will see what I can do to help.

8. bjblue01

bjblue01 TS Rookie

i also have the same problem. my usb keyboard does not work

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.