TechSpot

Demand for AMD's higher-end Radeon R9 cards has caused prices to skyrocket, but why?

By Shawn Knight
Dec 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. If you’ve been eyeballing one of AMD’s new Radeon R9 series graphics cards but haven’t yet pulled the trigger, you probably won’t like what I have to say. That’s because the higher-end models have skyrocketed in price over the past...

Read more
  2. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Booster Posts: 966   +97

"But perhaps the most obvious reason has to do with mining cryptocurrency, namely Litecoins."

I saw a tech show on youtube last night (Hardware Canucks: The Dam Good Show) that had Paul from Newegg as a guest, and he said one guy posted a pic on twitter showing that he bought "40 or 50 7950's" behind him in his garage for mining. The cards were on sale at Newegg for $150us.

Julio Franco likes this.
  3. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 371   +69

Bit coin sounds like fun, but too bad a poor Joe like me does not have money to buy this stuff.
  4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,367   +125

Even 7950s have appreciated quite a lot on second hand sites like ebay.
  5. EClyde

EClyde TS Enthusiast Posts: 162   +15

The answer is a simple two faceted answer. People think they need one and want to brag they have one. If your column looked into that you would be ostracized quicker then me for smacking down the gift guides.
  6. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,211   +521

I was actually curious about this as well because I was like what is with this hike up on the price. I was unaware people were buying these up specifically for litecoins lately. But now it makes sense why its so hard the last week to get any of the mentioned cards.
    wastedkill likes this.
  7. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903   +99

Good news for retailers, bad news for gamers who actually want to buy these cards to play games, not waste electricity calculating artificial currency which may or may not be around by the end of the year. Talking to people who are currently doing this, they sound so, whats that word, arrogant, and they seem so convinced they're going to get rich off what they're doing. I guess I should just laugh, or wait until the artificial currency bubble burst and everyone is left with wallets full of useless numbers. But I guess that's just another problem with the current generation, always trying to make money by doing absolutely nothing...
  8. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,367   +125

Relax 7950s are cheaper than buying a new central heating system.
  9. Adhmuz

No, heating with Wood is still cheaper and far more effective, plus you can "dispose" of things very easily with a stove, I wouldn't try that with the blower fan on a 7950, although it could be interesting.
  10. EClyde

Ever hear of Ralph Kramden? Nothing new here
  11. EClyde

Wood. It's like money in the bank.

12. Time to sell the Gigabyte 7970ghz I would say.
  13. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon TS Enthusiast Posts: 148   +41

You could sell the 7970Ghz or use it to mine litecoins and earn $300 in 1 month and then $300 more next month and another $300, and then buy 2x GTX780s or R9 290s. That's why almost no one is selling their Radeons. They make so much $ mining that it's not worth to sell them for $100 premium to anyone.
  14. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 325   +38

The 280X is still £230 in Britain. And the 290s haven't really increased in price very much.
    wastedkill likes this.
  15. Wow am I freaking old.

I am honestly starting to lose touch with this world. Firstly there was minecraft. An awful pointless waste of time. Bad chunky graphics in a sandbox for building nerd kingdoms.
    Radeons needed to play this game = 0...

Now bitcoin mininig. Have all the people mining / panning for gold and precious stones all come in from the cold and gone "fudge this I need get me some of them fandangled radeons" ?
    Sat there with ya feet up while ya pc somehow mines money for you... in a world where the governments make money from the hardworking chumps they keep in boxes called homes, then waste it on unnecessary stuff, like, government salaries (chuckle) and weapons of mass BS... filling the hole of the mass world debt with sawdust pretending to fix it but, not really as they are spending it all elsewhere on schemes to try and plug the world debt, which is all a catch 22 chasing ya tail load of oh BS... familiar patterns, and yet, a randomly made up almost bad as credit card money, digital monetary system is born, and people are mining and making money from it... Put a fork in me, I am done!
  16. Adhmuz

Had to quote me twice, I feel touched. And with such inspiring words, thanks guy.
  17. Man, these things are better than tulip's.see history books for the reference.
  18. 'mining' is such a misnomer. Actually, the whole system is really a way to replace paper currencies with one that offers 'potentially' anonymous internet (or in-person) transactions. The main thing to overcome is trust. Or lack of. That is where the cryptology comes in with a scheme that requires a lot of PC's to crack a specific kind of crypto problem where transactors using the crypto currency need only wait for several verifications to occur in the network in order to trust that they won't be ripped off. So the network hardware provides the trust, taking the human element out. The individual 'miners' are providing this transaction network, and they receive a small payment for their contribution, which has come to be called 'mining.' So there is more to it than purely virtual weirdness. It offers real value. BUT, I wouldn't necessarily rush out and buy bitcoins, hoping they go to a million apiece. There is a tuplip-mania aspect to it, which will ultimately burn some people. That said, the current price of ~$1K could go to $10K easily. It could go to $1M a bitcoin. But then it could fall back to $10K after that. So, some will get rich, and some will lose big-time. Ironically, all this volatility makes it a poor currency. And then some other cryptocurrency could come along, take all the market share, and send bitcoin to $0. But if you can get free currency valued at <$40 now with some Litecoin mining, and it goes to >$1K? That's hard to pass up.
  19. That was the first explanation of cryptocurrency that makes any sense. Nicely done. I still don't buy into the whole idea.
  20. Wood!!! power plant can use up to 95% of the heat to generate electricity and 80% to deliver it to you. Burning wood at home most of the heat will be wasted by releasing the gas(you dont want to inhale it) and you actually put out more CO2 then simply use electricity heater.
  21. Guys you can't actually buy anything with litecoins or bitcoins except some places on the web or trade them on an exchange for actual main stream currency so your burning silicone. If you can go to the supermarket and buy food then I would say the coin arrived. also the price is rising so much its hard to tell if this is a bubble. There's definitely no harm in mining except this sucks for gamers

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.