Demise of SMART Telecom Ireland

PFJ

I' ve listened with passing interest to the news of the SMART Telecom broadband provider who has ceased trading until issues (of 4 million Euro to Eircom) have been resolved and left some 50k customers unable to phone out (broadband users for some reasonn can still access the internet) last night. In such a small country (Ireland) there appears to be a proliferation of sub-providers as Eircom have more or less the monopoly on the lines. Where is it going to end - last man standing or only the big boys like SKY, NTL, BTiol etc?

Last night I got a telesales person trying to sell me Gaelic Broadband, where a percentage goes to a local GAA club of my choice. How do all these guys expect to make a profit? Does anyone know of a descent internet provider in the Republic (I presume that the provider would have to be based in the Republic because of Eircom?) that will deliver the goods at a reasonable cost and last the pace?

Regards

PFJ

IMHO Perlico offers an extremely good package, been using them for over 2 years now, bills cut in half!
Their 2MB unlimited broadband costs €29.95/mo

PS: just found out they currently have a special BB-deal, where you only pay €1.99 per month for the first 3 months, and after thet it's €19.95/mo.
You get an ADSL2 Zyxel Prestige 600 modem (USB and Ethernet), or a wireless variant. Don't know if they have any modem/routers.

Back