TechSpot

Demise of SMART Telecom Ireland

By PFJ
Oct 3, 2006
Post New Reply
  1. I' ve listened with passing interest to the news of the SMART Telecom broadband provider who has ceased trading until issues (of 4 million Euro to Eircom) have been resolved and left some 50k customers unable to phone out (broadband users for some reasonn can still access the internet) last night. In such a small country (Ireland) there appears to be a proliferation of sub-providers as Eircom have more or less the monopoly on the lines. Where is it going to end - last man standing or only the big boys like SKY, NTL, BTiol etc?

Last night I got a telesales person trying to sell me Gaelic Broadband, where a percentage goes to a local GAA club of my choice. How do all these guys expect to make a profit? Does anyone know of a descent internet provider in the Republic (I presume that the provider would have to be based in the Republic because of Eircom?) that will deliver the goods at a reasonable cost and last the pace?

Regards

PFJ

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

IMHO Perlico offers an extremely good package, been using them for over 2 years now, bills cut in half!
    Their 2MB unlimited broadband costs €29.95/mo

PS: just found out they currently have a special BB-deal, where you only pay €1.99 per month for the first 3 months, and after thet it's €19.95/mo.
    You get an ADSL2 Zyxel Prestige 600 modem (USB and Ethernet), or a wireless variant. Don't know if they have any modem/routers.

3. PFJ

PFJ TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 112

Thanks RBS. I'll check them out.

Regards
    PFJ