TechSpot

Denial of Service attacks to legally target P2P file sharing networks???

By Phantasm66
Jun 26, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oh man, here we go again....!!! Is there nothing that these people will not try to do in the name of not letting me download that Alanis Morissette track? Are you now to condone denial of service attack on these networks in the name of stopping someone from watching a bad quality recording of "Attack of the Clones?" So its OK to DOS attack if you are a rich, evil record company but not OK if you are a kid hacking from your parent's garage? All of the BS makes me sick!!!!!!!!! :( :( :( :(

source: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/06/25/2258231

So is next?

1)Hard drives to be designed that autodestruct when illegal mp3s are written to them?

2)P2P network employees allowed to be legally beated up by RIAA senior staff?

3)CDs with hidden data tracks that contain stealth software that reports you to the police for having illegal mp3s or a divx rip of a DVD written on them?

4)Me going mental and shooting one of these sick greedy SOBs?
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 6,504   +6

3. Phantasm66

source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43256-2002Jun25.html
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I agree that this seems kind of strange. How some record company can ddos these servers, but if a packet kiddie wanted to do it they could possibly get in trouble. This is the sort of stuff that I don't understand. I don't use these services, but I think people should be able to if htey wanted.
  5. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

The recording and entertainment industries have been using DoS attacks for a while now, the only difference is that now they could have the law to back them up. This is just another sign that things are going to get worse for consumers and the only winners here will be the lawyers who cash in on all this. It doesn't even matter anymore whether it is wrong to use these P2P networks or if it is over reaction on the part of the entertainment industry. What is clear is that nothing good can come of this whole situation no matter the outcome.
  6. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Good point

Now I wanna go become a lawyer and quick :D
  7. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

These new DDOSers are RIAA funded, no doubt.
  8. Phantasm66

Coincidence??

source: http://www.theregus.com/content/56/25424.html
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.