TechSpot

DEP error for Windows Explorer at Shutdown

By sellmesanity
Nov 8, 2007
  1. Whenever I click shutdown my computer has that Data Execution Prevention dialog with "Windows Explorer". I am stumped as to what could be causing this, I disabled all my programs from starting up practically just to the bare ones. Any ideas on where to start or whats up?

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

Have you disabled the DEP function in System properties > advanced > performance options > settings > DEP? If you do this on a temp basis, does it clear the error?
    Also you should check what processes are still running despite your cutting out most of them - one of them is sitting there as a TSR (terminate and stay resident) program.

3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

There's no need to disable DEP completely, you can just add explorer.exe to the excluded applications list.

Maybe something added to the right-click menu started this?

4. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

agreed - but if DEP itself is the problem I have found it easier to do a temo disable to confirm one way or another.

5. sellmesanity

sellmesanity TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 162

Yeah, I don't know what is going on or what is causing this. Also, I am getting random lock ups of programs like Winamp or Explorer.exe. I know overclocking could cause that but it wouldn't cause the DEP problems.

6. sellmesanity

sellmesanity TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 162

So just when I had thought I had fixed it by formatting, the problem rears it's head again, though I did fix the instability which was caused by a SATA cable.

It must be related to a program I keep installing.

I don't want to disable DEP because that is ignoring the underlying problem...however, when I do disable it that works.

So you guys think I should try running windows with no third party services running? And how can I tell what is a TSR?

I was doing some reading, some people say it could be a CODEC pack (especially older xvid codec) but i dont see how it would do that only upon shut down. That's the only thing i can think of right now besides my Kaspersky, but even when i removed that last time it still did it.

Thanks.

Would it help if i gave you guys a hijackthis log?

7. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,425   +77

On my PC there are no less than 5 perfectly valid programmes that require DPP switched off for them. There simply are such programmes. Explorer is not one of them, but some of the older add-ons for explorer could certainly be suspect. I agreee you should carry on trying to track it down, although malware would not feature at the top of my suspicions, it is a possibility.

8. Po`Girl

Po`Girl TS Rookie Posts: 595

You say you disabled everything to the bones.Did you include services ?

Go into msconfig and uncheck everything all except Firewall

Go into the Services tab,click "Hide all Microsoft services" and uncheck

the rest.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.