Deployed To Iraq, Please Help, need audio drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GYSGT OF MARINS

Ok, I am somewhat knowledgeable in computers, that is to say I know how to turn it on and type on the thing. One of the guys in my team gave me his Dell laptop. The sound did not play, and I managed to get the driver that repaired the situation. Problem is, I never backed up the drivers, and now the problem is back. Computer specs: Microsoft Windows XP Home edition, Version 2002, SP2, Dell SmartStep 200N INTEL (R) 2.0GHz, 256RAM.

I have read so many threads and sites that always say to re-install the driver. I do not have the CD that came with the computer, and do not know what soundcard is present in the laptop. Resolving this problem would make life here 100% better (for the remaining 9 months! :)

thank you and SEMPER FI

GYSGT

I'll be relieving you in about a month or so with the 1st Cav division sarge.

You'll need to go to the dell website to see if you can download the drivers there. Sometimes windows update will autodetect missing drivers and install them also.

If you're on patrol, you might pickup a bootleg copy of dell drivers from hagi. Hagi as a few computer shops in baghdad. Might work in a pinch. (I wouldn't risk getting shot at uneccessarily though - send the 2lt!) It will work in a pinch until you can get an authentic CD when you're home on R & R.

First Team Leads the Way!
ADA all the way.
hooah!

Keep your head down. Those Snipers are real good. Mujahideen are gonne be commin' atcha.

OK guys, I am no where NEAR Baghdad. :) back to the computer problem:

I think I need to match up my sound drivers with my soundcard, but do not know my soundcard type. I saw a thread somewhere about a chip on the motherboard that reads "PCIM XXXXX", with the X's being a number that corresponds with the motherboard type.

I know the file that I downloaded before was not very large. I am wondering if it was a patch?

Thanks Howard!

Quick question, though. How do I know which driver is the correct one for my soundcard?

thanks again for the welcome......have a feeling I am going to learn MUCH from everyone.

Semper Fi

Well, provided you`ve given us the correct model of your computer, the link I gave you is for that model and so the drivers on that page should be the correct ones.

You could always download the free Everest programme from HERE. It will give you lots of info about your system.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks, Howard! Of all the research I did, never heard of that program........ sounds like the answer, will let you know how things work out....

thanks again!!

Thanks Howard. I tried that program. It says that I have the Intel 82801BA ICH2 AC'97 Audio Controller [B-5]. I guess now all I have to do is find the driver that matches the sound card, right? thanks again for your help.

GySgt

Didn't work

Gentlemen,

Ok, I removed the old driver using the ADD/REMOVE programs, restarted the computer, installed the new driver from the Dell link, restarted the computer.

Now I get an error message,"CMICNFG.cpl could not be found", I still have no sound, and the I still have the error message "Device could not start (code 10)

any suggestions on where to go from here?
thank you for your continued support. I also re-ran the Everest and got a new report, not sure if any info from that would be useful at this point.

GYSGT

CMICNFG.cpl is a control panel applet that doesn`t need to run on on startup.

Click start/run and type msconfig into the run box and hit the enter key.

When the msconfig window appears click on the startup tab. Look for the CMICNFG entry and uncheck it. Click apply/ok. You will be prompted to reboot your computer. Once your computer has rebooted, you will see a window that says your have used msconfig to make changes etc. Tick the little box that says not to run msconfig the next time you start your computer and click ok.

That should get rid of your error message.

As to why your sound isn`t working, that`s a different problem.

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall your AC97 drivers.

Then, go into your device manager and look for any yellow exclamation or question marks next to your sound devices. If you find any, right click on the device and choose uninstall. Reboot your computer.

Run Windows updates and look for any updated sound drivers. If you find any, download and install them.

Let us know if this helps.

Hmmm, I removed the driver, restarted and now another device is showing up with the yellow (!). I attempted to remove that device, and I received an error message : Alcxwdm.cat not found.

suggestions?

The Alcxwdm.cat file is part of your Avance sound files.

now another device is showing up with the yellow (!).

I take it from the above you have more than one device with a yellow exclamation mark. Can you tell me what these devices are listed as?

Did you run the Windows updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back