Desk tray or small application menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

sicarius

Back when tweak ui for Win95 first came out it had a program included in it called something like tray menu. It was just an icon on your task bar that allowed you to put your most used apps in it so they would be easy to get to. Now apparently it does not come with it. I dont really like icons on my desktop and would just like a way to pull up a small menu to use the things I use the most. I have found a bunch of stuff on the web but most of it is not really what I am looking for. I would love to have just that plain old tray menu that came with tweak ui. Anbody know a program like that. Soething you could even hot key to etc.

Thanks

S>

Never mind guys and girls. I found what I was looking for finally. It is called next start. I may have to go back to college to learn to run it however.

S>

Hi Sicarius...

You may also want a look at Object Bar and True Launch Bar.

In my opinion i prefer Object Bar...

Too lazy to post links, just look for them in any search engine.

The utility you are refering to is called Desk Menu in case anyone else wants to know, it is a part of Windows Power Toys, TweakUI is another Power Toy, they were distributed both as a package containing all of them as well as separately.

The best launchpad I have found is included with Windows, just create a folder and call it something like "shortcuts" and put a few shortcut icons you want in there, then right click on the taskbar and navigate to toolbars>New Toolbar, then direct it to your shortcuts folder. You can then either make it docked or undocked and even autohide it if it is docked. You can add and remove icons by dragging them to and from the new toolbar.

I have personally never seen the advantage of using a third party utility that just consumes resources, to hold icons for you and supposedly speed the launching of apps.

Stormbringer is right. Just been to long since I wanted to use that suit of toys. It also had a cab file viewer and extractor now that I think about it. Basically it does just what he describes by creating shortcuts to certain apps. As far as resources go? The difference between having your shortcuts in your tray than on the desktop would have to be negligible to say the least. You cant always alt-tab to the desktop by the way. The info I listed earlier while being cool is not what I was looking for.

S>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back