TechSpot

Desktop armour cwsinfection???

By ibanez7
May 30, 2006
  1. hello to all!

After cleaning all my pc i decided to install desktop armour guard .I then scanned to make sure all was ok but found cws registry K trojan with xoftspy.So i took pictures of what i found and will attach here.As soon as i uninstall armour guard the values and cws registry Ktrojan are now gone.I tried deleting just the html values but they keep coming back as soon as i restart even if all done in safemode.The only way to totally remove the values are to uninstall the program.I would like to know if this program is safe to use or not since i keep getting those corrupted values with xoftspy or is it some kind of false positive.(nothing seems to go wrong with my computer installed or not)Thanks

Attached Files:

2. tomrca

tomrca TS Rookie Posts: 1,000

hi .
    i have tried that same programme 'xoftspy' and it gave me false positives too.

realblackstuff gave me a link once to read up on the dodgey programmes, ie, 'false positives' and it was one of them.

3. altheman

altheman TS Rookie Posts: 425

Quote from here: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#xos_note

but if you want to be sure, follow these instructions link, and then post a hjt log.

4. ibanez7

ibanez7 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

Thanks very much for the help with this.Like i mentionned i have no problems with my pc.Just that i wanted to install the desktop armour guard and had just found those infections in it.The only program picking anything up is the xoftspy. I tried ewido,spybot search and destroy, lavasoft my own antivirus nod32 and trendmicro with no problems.Just found it curious that xoftspy did pick it up and wanted to make sure that armour guard was safe to use and from all the trials done here i think it's ok to say that desktop armour guard is safe to install then correct?.Which therefore means that xoftspy is not very reliable and if used make sure and find out what you remove cause it may be a false positive.Thanks very much for the help

5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

6. ibanez7

already did cwshredder more then once and different versions got them from different sites.Like i said found no problems except for the xoftspy scan

7. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

It`s more than likely, this is a false positive in xoftspy, which may or may not be a good programme. My advice would be to uninstall xoftspy.

Stick to the tried and tested programmes, such as Ad-Aware se/Spybot search and destroy etc.

If in doubt. Take a look at the sticky thread at the top of this forum.

8. ibanez7

Exactly what i did already uninstalled the xoftspy.All's well, running great.Thanks for the help.Learning lots from reading here and all the great help and info from people here is awesome.Thanks again

9. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

No problem mate.

Glad we could be of help.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.