Desktop Core i3 Ivy Bridge CPUs leaked ahead of launch

Jos

Staff

As the launch of Intel's next-gen 22nm Ivy Bridge processors draws closer, details of five upcoming chips have been leaked online complete with their with full specifications. The leak covers the upcoming Core i3 desktop lineup, including three 55W and two 35W parts. They're compatible with LGA1155 Socket motherboards featuring the Z77 chipset and come with a reduced feature set compared to their i5 and i7 counterparts.

Starting from the top the Core i3-3240 features a core frequency of 3.40Ghz with integrated graphics clocked at 650 MHz / 1020 MHz Dynamic. This is followed by the Core i3-3225, which is clocked at 3.30 GHz and packs faster Intel HD 4000 graphics, while the Core i3-3220 is also clocked at 3.30 GHz but with slower HD 2500 graphics. Al three have a TDP of 55W.

Meanwhile, the low power 35W TDP processors include the Core i3 3240T featuring a clock frequency of 3GHz and the Core i3-3220T running at 2.80GHz, both packing Intel HD 2500 graphics.

Like current Core i3 chips the new Ivy Bridge models will feature Hyper Threading support and no Turbo Boost. Compared to their more expensive i5 and i7 siblings they lack PCI-Express 3.0 support, meaning PCI-E 3.0 cards will function in PCI-Express 2.0 mode when connected to a Core i3 system. There's also no support for advanced features like AES-NI (accelerates encryption), VT-d (enhanced virtualization), and TXT (security).

The charts leaked by Zol.com.cn also contain details on upcoming Core i5 and Core i7 processors for Intel's Ivy Bridge lineup, which were first revealed with pricing details in a couple of leaks late last year.

Permalink to story.

Funny, I was in the process of buying a Core i5-2500K last year because it supported VT-d virtualization, but then found out that none of the motherboards in the under $300 category supported it regardless of chipset.

i just got an ASrock Extreme4 gen3 z68.... willl these new ones be compatible??
It appears not. Reread the article. It says it's compatible with socket 1155 with the z77 chipset and you don't have that chipset.

misleading title. Thought it meant the CPUS literally ended up on ebay.
derp.
i3? pffft. Why do people buy those? can get an Fx-4100 cheaper, and its (effectively) a quad core...more future proof, and the average i3 user doesn't really play hardcore games or do hardcore CPU work.

Guest said:
derp.
i3? pffft. Why do people buy those? can get an Fx-4100 cheaper, and its (effectively) a quad core...more future proof, and the average i3 user doesn't really play hardcore games or do hardcore CPU work.

You said yourself "i3 user doesn't really play hardcore games or do hardcore CPU work".

I kinda answered your own question there?

Much Self Ado About Nothing......

OK, heads up kids! Incoming memo from Olympus.......!
derp.

I'm literally speechless! What could I possibly add to this....:confused: ?

Oh wait, I've got it! Hooray for you............yay.......:rolleyes:

Because i3 use less power and perform better in almost all tasks than FX4100.

Back