desktop lag, and i don't think its the video card...help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone, i'm a newcomer to the site and any help would be greatly appreciated.

my windows xp sp2 desktop seems to lag in specific situations and it is frustrating the life out of me. for instance, right after i close a window (say, for example, an IE browser window) and then i try dragging my mouse across an empty part of my desktop, there is a noticeable lag before the dragging box appears. also, right after i try closing a program, when i try clicking on the start menu button, there is a noticeable lag before the start menu pops up. In addition, when I try double clicking on a desktop folder, there is again lag before the folder opens up. I had never experienced any of this lag whatsoever until i deleted files in the following folder: "C:\DOCUME~1\CHRISC~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\" where "chrisc" is a user name. This folder being called temp, I didn't think that these files were of any significance, but was I an ***** to do this?

I've checked this and other boards for similar problems to mine, but most seem to suggest video card problems, which I don't think would be the case, since the lagging problems are very specific and not very broad.

please, any help would be so greatly appreciated...i'm pulling my hair out here! :confused:

ADDENDUM: when i right click on the desktop there is a lag as well that wasn't there previously. the system in question is a fairly new toshiba satellite m45 (1.86 ghz pentium M, 1 gb sdram). i have, until this point, had no problems whatsoever with this comp - no spyware, no problems with antivirus, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back