Desktop XP cant access workgroups over laptops pc's (XP and vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am actually having a problem regarding workgroups with Winxp and Vista, heres the scenario

We have 3 computers, 1 Deskstop PC running Windows XP , 1 Laptop Running Vista and another Laptop Running Windows XP

the 2 Laptops are wirelessly connected and the Desktop PC thru ethernet connection

we all setup file and printer sharing on all computers and under the same Workgroups

Mcafee is installed on both Winxp Computers and Kapersky on Vista

Problem is whenever we try clicking on the view workgroup computers under My Network Places on the Desktop PC, it only gives us the "ding.wav" sound so we cant access the shared folders over the network

but the 2 laptops (vista/xp) could access the shared folders of the desktop pc and their shared folders as well and use the printer that is connected on the desktop pc

all fault seems to point to the desktop pc, but what can it be? what is the next best thing to do now?

thanks

well from the desktop try to go right click on My Network Places
then select ( search for computers .. ) then keep it blank and hit search
you should find all computers in range ...

Hi Njin, the problem might not be with the network but the wireless system. I had a similar problem with mine - I have a Netgear DG834GT wireless access point wired to my main PC plus a WG511 PCMIA card in my laptop and WG311T PCI card in another PC. After replacement of the access points twice, we tracked the issue down to the fact that all three didn't talk to each other using the Netgear software but two would. Disable the manufacturers wireless system and use Windows instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back