Desperate Help Needed!!! Black screen, unresponsive, started with MemTest86+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running a P4 3.2GHz desktop
1 GB DDR
512MB Nvidia 7600GS
200GB HD
ECS PT800CE-A MoBo:

I recently upgraded to 2 GB DDR, and began having problems when installing games where I would receive "Error 1335: data.cab file is corrupted, blah, blah, blah" which I linked to possibly being a memory problem.

After downloading MemTest86+ and running it, about halfway through the test the screen went black, HD light turned a solid red, and the whole computer was unresponsive. The monitor light went from blue to orange and a "no signal detected" came on the screen (as if the hard disk was shut down).

I reboot and try to run MemTest86+ again, and the same thing happens after about 2 minutes of running.

Again I reboot, try again, and the same thing happens.

Prior to running MemTest, I did have to go into the BIOS and change the boot order before running MemTest. Other than that I did not touch anything in the BIOS.

After the issue, I reloaded optimized defaults in BIOS and updated the BIOS after the problem arose.
I have also checked the BIOS for any USB legacy support and there is no option (as MemTest says if this is enabled, it may cause problems).
I have since swapped back to my 1 GB known working memory and the problem persists.
The problem also happens when I try to play games (running Dark Messiah of Might and Magic from CD and WoW from the HD). Game loads and runs fine for about 2 minutes before the screen goes black, unresponsive, etc.
I have reinstalled (cleanly) my graphics drivers and the problem persists.

Please help me.
Other than when trying to run MemTest86+ and games, the computer runs normally.
I traded an occasional install error for a complete lack of gaming.
This blows.

Could it be that the system is overheating? Also, try the failsafe BIOS defaults instead of the "optimized" ones.

Thank you both for your responses. I ended up taking it to a technician (first time i've used a tech in years to fix my computer problems). I figured I'm best not messing with it. And I just don't have a spare, working mobo, psu, etc to fully diagnose it.

I don't know the correct memory/latency settings. And I thought overheating was an issue. I should've tried the fail safe bios settings, but after simply changing the date in my bios (it of course was incorrect after my update) my whole computer became crap and I couldn't even use IE7. I should hear back from the tech tomorrow, and I will try to post what he finds on here in hopes of helping anyone else who in the future has a similar issue. Whether some piece of hardware was failing or a setting was changed (by memtest), it definately occured after running memtest so whatever it was.....if memtest wasn't the cause, it was the kicker (to kick it over the edge).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back