Desperately need advice on System crashes!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First let me say hi! My friend recommended this Site to me to solve my issue. I'm not 100% sure this is the correct forum for my questions so I apologize in advance.

I built a computer for the second time this month. Everything seemed fine until i started getting random system freezes. Sometimes it locks up and other times its the BSOD. The usually error is "Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal"

Nothing specific really caused them....Sometimes when I'm browsing the net or using flash.. I have found that it crashes mostly while gaming and definitely if I use certain filters in photoshop. (liquify) . Since I dual boot vista/xp and it happens with either OS I assume it's a hardware issue.

I've updated my bios and drivers. I've done a clean install of both OS twice. I replaced my crucial 1066 ram with OCZ reapers and the problem still remains. I've googled the error several times with no clear answer. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks In advance for your time and help.

System Specs:
gigabyte ga-p35-dq6
4gb crucial ballstix 1066 or 4gb OCZ reaper 1066
intel qx6850
1tb hitachi
750g hitachi
150g raptor
nvida 8800 ultra (msi)
enermax 850watts
asus sata dvd writer
panasonic IDE dvd writer

Have you Overclocked it? If so, drop it back to standard and see if it still occurs.

If not, run a CHKDSK {open my computer, Right Click on C drive, Properties, Tools, error checking. Then tick the 2 boxes, hit OK, and reboot when it tells you it can't be locked [coz it's in use!].

That will correct any file errors and often sorts out odd behaviour.

I do have Nvida video drivers...Necessary for my GPU. I've done a few system restores but I like I mentioned earlier the problem is still there rather I'm running vista or xp sp2. I tried the chkdisk and I'm still getting freezes a few times a day where I have to manually restart. You guys don't think it's a hardware issue?? I replaced the ram but I'm thinking video card or motherboard. Any other suggestions to be sure???

Thanks for the answers

it screams a ram problem, if swapping didn't fix then I'd question the motherboard. what does memtest say about the ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back