Despite tighter regulations the NSA still collected 151 million phone records in 2016,...

William Gayde

Staff

For years, the National Security Agency routinely collected personal information on millions of Americans and their phone calls. They began this program following the September 11th attacks and it was largely discovered and made public following Edward Snowden's leaks.

The American people were justifiably upset at the massive breach of privacy, so Congress enacted legislation to limit the NSA's ability to collect bulk phone records. Unfortunately, this didn't really end up changing much according to the annual report issued by the Director of National Intelligence.

Congress passed the Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ending Eavesdropping, Dragnet-collection and Online Monitoring Act, better known as the USA Freedom Act, back in 2015 to more tightly regulate the NSA. Despite these new laws, the NSA still collected more than 150 million phone records in 2016. Also revealed in the report was that the NSA only had warrants from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance court to track 42 terrorism suspects that year.

Officials argue that the 151 million number is small compared to the numbers collected before Snowden and the USA Freedom Act. This number also includes multiple calls to or from the same person so the real number of suspects will be less. That said, this is still a massive number considering the NSA is supposed to now be limited in its authority to collect bulk data.

On the bright side though, the fact that we even have this number is a positive sign. The NSA, while remaining one of the most secretive agencies in the world, has been on a track towards greater transparency in recent years.

Permalink to story.

I care far more about internet traffic they monitor, and I dont think anyone really trusts this number - why would they tell the truth when theyve gotten away with lying for so long?

I care far more about internet traffic they monitor, and I dont think anyone really trusts this number - why would they tell the truth when theyve gotten away with lying for so long?
It's not only the American calls they monitor, it's the entire planets telecommunication including the internet. Don't kid yourself into thinking they're trying to be a bit more truthful, that's just not in their DNA. Mention the word "truth" in front of them and they're quickly looking up it's meaning in the dictionary.Those numbers they've thrown out is just to appease people but fools no one. The amendment of the act has done absolutely nothing to curb them either, and as for them being more transparent? Don't make me laugh.

With great power comes great responsibility. ABsolute Power corrupts, absolutely! Of course they are abusing the power - they have been for a LONG time... Welcome to 1984!

INFOWARS dot COM!

If these so-called Americans were talking to people of interest that are known to be connected to terrorism then yes, they need to be collected on. They are traitors to the United States and everything we stand for, they deserve no due process!

With great power comes great responsibility. ABsolute Power corrupts, absolutely! Of course they are abusing the power - they have been for a LONG time... Welcome to 1984!

INFOWARS dot COM!
infowars is a paranoid person's best friend. 5% fact, 95% no proof it ISN'T true, so it must be!

Back