"Destiny" beta dates and platforms announced, two Collectors Editions revealed

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The beta for Bungie's upcoming shared-world shooter is just around the corner. We already knew Destiny would enter beta status on July 17 and now we know which systems it'll arrive on and how long gamers will get to play the title before the full release.

Bungie on Monday revealed that Destiny will arrive on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 on July 17 and run through July 21 at which time the game will go offline for two days for maintenance. On July 23, the beta will return for the two aforementioned consoles in addition to the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One. The action will continue for all systems until July 28 at 2:59 am ET.

destiny beta gaming pre order

In addition to beta details, the company also announced two Collector's Editions of the game, the Limited Edition and the Ghost Edition. Both bundles include a limited edition SteelBook case with game disc, a Guardian folio that contains an Arms & Armament Field Guide, postcards from the Golden Age and an antique star chart as well as a digital content pack and access to the Destiny Expansion Pass.

The Expansion Pass includes access to two post-release expansion packs, Expansion 1: The Dark Below and Expansion 2: House of Wolves ($19.99 values each).

The more expensive Ghost Edition also includes a Ghost replica featuring Peter Dinklage's voice with motion-activated lights, a letter of introduction and Golden Age Relics, a sticker and other smaller items.

The Destiny Limited Edition bundle will set you back $99.99 while the Ghost Edition commands $149.99.

Destiny is scheduled for release on September 9.

Permalink to story.

The Destiny Limited Edition bundle will set you back $99.99 while the Ghost Edition commands $149.99.
wow. these (beta) game packs are very expensive. base (beta) game is still below 60$?

I've heard quite a lot of good stuff about this game, I'm just going to have to get it I think, It's about time I got a PS4 and when this releases they're going to be selling it with a White console. I'm in.

The Expansion Pass includes access to two post-release expansion packs, Expansion 1: The Dark Below and Expansion 2: House of Wolves ($19.99 values each).

The freaking game is not even in beta access and they've already named 2 payed exps... THIS is what is wrong with development companies, I freaking hate it (To put it mildly before someone censors my post ¬¬).

Not on PC so why care?
Activision have already gone on record to say they are "strongly" considering making a PC version as it suits the platform well. I would place a decent amount of money they already are on the case.

They've invested 550 million dollars into this game and infrastructure, that is a serious amount of money and I can see them releasing it for PC, just for the sales.

One last point, a lot of PC gamers that I know are always saying "I would rather wait for a finished game rather than a broken game now". If GTA5 is anything to go by, this will be ported to PC and more than likely support some extra stuff, upgraded textures and graphic options, more players on screen and better AI? Who knows, all I know is, it'll probably be the superior version when it is released.

Edit: After reading more into it, it appears because everyone is in a constant world no matter the platform, PC gamers would probably rape the console players so they have held off for now. Still, the fact they have said they are thinking about it, I guess they are going to wait and see how well it sells first before announcing anything.

Last edited:
Back