destop icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekul5400

howdy, recently i changed my colour display from true colour down to 256 and when i did it changed all the icons on my desktop and in the system tray to the less advanced images. ive changed the colour back and it still wont change, ive also made sure theyre using all the colour settings possible but still they remain as the "windows 95" type icons

oh, and im using windows 2000
any ideas anyone?

I don`t know if this will work but it`s worth a try. Right click anywhere on your desk top and select properties then themes select the theme of your choice save and apply. I hope this might help. Regards Howard:grinthumb

You might need to repair or clear the icon cache. Many system tweak tools like TweakUI have a feaature for thisbut if you don't have such a program then just make sure you can view hidden files and then open your Windows directory in Explorer and delete the file called "ShellIconCache", then reboot.

hmm, i tried both yet neither worked (i dont think i can change themes on mine) and deleting shellicon cache didnt do anything after rebooting. i tried changing the resolution of my desktop to see if that would help, but now my system tray is worse, the icons are completely blurred, is there anyway to get everything back to normal?

yey, thankyou that worked, but it was from a backup that is 5 months old, did it do anything that i may need to redo, like install drivers?
thanks again,
luke

It might have done you`ll need to check and make sure everything is working ok. Glad we could help Luke. Regards Howard
gentleman.gif

The next time you do this, you should be able to change the icons back by editing the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ Desktop \ WindowMetrics \ Shell Icon BPP

String value of 4 means 16 colors,
8 = 256,
16 = 65536,
24 = 16.7 million,
32 = - " - + alpha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back