Deus Ex: The Fall for iOS takes a controversial approach to piracy

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Update: No company enjoys a well-publicized backlash while launching a new product and Square Enix is no exception. They have backtracked and will allow jailbroken devices to play Deus Ex: The Fall with an upcoming update.

The first mobile version of Deus Ex recently hit the iTunes App Store but not without a bit of controversy. A number of gamers have discovered some interesting behavior when run on a jailbroken iOS device.

When launching Deus Ex: The Fall for the first time, players are shown a cut scene and given a basic tutorial. After that, it’s gaming as usual… until you try to fire your gun. If you are using a jailbroken device, you’ll be presented with a popup that says you can’t fire on jailbroken devices.

deus fall ios deus ex the fall

The move is clearly designed to prevent app piracy but perhaps Square Enix didn’t go about it the right way. Banning a device from playing the game under the assumption that all people who jailbreak are pirates just seems wrong. In fact, there are several instances on Reddit and on the iTunes App Store where people claim to have paid for the game and are still being punished simply because they are playing on a device they own and legally modified.

This isn’t the first time that a developer has taken a proactive approach to piracy. Earlier this year, Greenheart Games released Game Dev Tycoon, a business simulator that lets uses relive the history of the gaming industry step by step.

In the event that a user pirated the game, however, they’d be met with an unexpected situation. Once you’ve progressed in the game a little ways, you’ll receive a sales report that highlights the dangers of piracy and how people are pirating your hit titles. It’s all downhill from there as there’s essentially no way to win and you’re eventually forced into bankruptcy.

Permalink to story.

Wow and I thought it was only PC gamers who were assumed to be the main source or pirating games. Not like this is really of much importance however, Deus Ex is a mediocre title as it is and your trying to play on an iPhone, so chances are the game is likely to be crap anyways. This is like the ultimate warning, if you pirate our games you won't get to see how bad it is before actually buying it, so just don't buy it. Buuuuut, this is already going to be fixed, Eidos Montreal has an update or patch to get rid of this in the works, I wonder why?

Don't you wish you could grab some of these executives by the collar and shake them violently while slapping them in the face and telling them that their DRM ideas are stupid? I could spend weeks at the offices of the RIAA, MPAA, EA, Ubisoft, etc trying to smack some sense into these *****s.

"In the event that a user pirated the game, however, they?d be met with an unexpected situation. Once you?ve progressed in the game a little ways, you?ll receive a sales report that highlights the dangers of piracy and how people are pirating your hit titles. It?s all downhill from there as there?s essentially no way to win and you?re eventually forced into bankruptcy."
This is a cool idea. You can still play the game, but in the end you're screwed. I like that philosophy. You can trial the game but you can't truly play through the entire thing.

Yeah some (read most) of these publishers are real chumps but I've never really understood why anybody would want to pay for & play games on their phones when there are far more suitable platforms available.

"Don't you wish you could grab some of these executives by the collar and shake them violently while slapping them in the face and telling them that their DRM ideas are stupid? I could spend weeks at the offices of the RIAA, MPAA, EA, Ubisoft, etc trying to smack some sense into these ******."

I fail to see how someone trying to prevent people from stealing them is nuts. And that comes from a "bad" guy.

I got it and played it this weekend. it's a fun game. the AI is kinda stupid that's the only down side. but it's true to every Deus Ex iterations. I think if they wanted to go this route and punish the jailbreakers, there're other ways of doing it, but after launching the game and telling you that can't fire because you're jailborken is not the right way, and sure will piss off a lot of people.

I think people will say that I am a troll, but current state of technology does not let me prove otherwise, even if I'd show you a scan of my passport it could still be a fake... Let's face it, Internet is built for trolling. So just make a choice if you trust me or not, but I never ever had a problem with DRM since I started buying games. My iPod touch and my iPad are not jailbroken, I played through all Assassin's Creeds without any reason to be pissed off with the Ubisoft's "awlays online" DRM or the Jerusalem mission bug. I only get pissed off with games themselves, and maybe with a fact that I can't gift one of my games to a friend on Steam. But as a developer, I am so happy that Apple has this "ecosystem" that protects rights of developers much better than it is done in the PC world. If that comes with a price of limiting access to some features, well, did you ever think why your body is covered with skin and not just being open for you to access your organs whenever you please? It's for your own protection - against bacteria, viruses and other sources of damage. And when you close the door to your house to keep thieves and stray dogs out, it's also a good thing. "Open" might be a nice slogan for a banner, but in reality it is not always a good thing. Far from always, actually. I'm not protecting publishing companies, nor do I blame pirates, I believe that in some areas pirates are right and publishers are wrong, and I'm on the side of the pirates. But not when it comes to AppStore, I'm sorry.

? ironic indeed.. someone with a jailbroken device and not using a cracked version off deus ex...

I think people will say that I am a troll, but current state of technology does not let me prove otherwise, even if I'd show you a scan of my passport it could still be a fake... Let's face it, Internet is built for trolling. So just make a choice if you trust me or not, but I never ever had a problem with DRM since I started buying games. My iPod touch and my iPad are not jailbroken, I played through all Assassin's Creeds without any reason to be pissed off with the Ubisoft's "awlays online" DRM or the Jerusalem mission bug. I only get pissed off with games themselves, and maybe with a fact that I can't gift one of my games to a friend on Steam. But as a developer, I am so happy that Apple has this "ecosystem" that protects rights of developers much better than it is done in the PC world. If that comes with a price of limiting access to some features, well, did you ever think why your body is covered with skin and not just being open for you to access your organs whenever you please? It's for your own protection - against bacteria, viruses and other sources of damage. And when you close the door to your house to keep thieves and stray dogs out, it's also a good thing. "Open" might be a nice slogan for a banner, but in reality it is not always a good thing. Far from always, actually. I'm not protecting publishing companies, nor do I blame pirates, I believe that in some areas pirates are right and publishers are wrong, and I'm on the side of the pirates. But not when it comes to AppStore, I'm sorry.

I like the skin analogy.

I do have to say, jailbreak or not. that $7 for a Deus Ex game is pretty damn sweet deal. consider the actual game play is really worth it.

With Game Dev Tycoon, I support that, the game was definitely pirated. But with the main story of what is happening with the iPhones, it is wrong! The people legally purchased their game, they legally modified THEIR iPhone and the company isn't delivering what they bought. Here's hoping they end up bankrupt!

The only problem with your logic is, it's MY SKIN, it's MY BODY... and if I have problems, I can go to someone who will cut it open and fix those problems. But what if your body was like these games... you go to the doctor and he says: "I'm sorry, you are not allowed to take pills anymore, you are not allowed to get surgery, you can only do to your body what we say is right. You are only allowed to eat and drink what we say and have to pay for it what we say, no, you're not allowed to drink free tap water anymore either!". If someone legally purchased something, it is THEIRS and they have the right to resell it used or give it away if they please. All of this crap is being put in place out of GREED. Can you imagine if it became illegal for you to open and modify your car? How about if your car would ONLY work for you and nobody else so you were prevented from reselling it used? There is no difference what so ever. This is WRONG... and I personally will not buy from any company that supports this.

It also protects you from some dangerous things like:
-On-device terminals
-Compilers
-Games with any kind of custom content creation/support
-Whatever the f#^& Apple decides is wrong

I got it and played it this weekend. it's a fun game. the AI is kinda stupid that's the only down side. but it's true to every Deus Ex iterations. I think if they wanted to go this route and punish the jailbreakers, there're other ways of doing it, but after launching the game and telling you that can't fire because you're jailborken is not the right way, and sure will piss off a lot of people.

Punish the jailbreakers for what, exactly?

I guess some people here are either (paid) trolls or with a twisted perception as to why people jailbreak.
Here's a few tips:
MAYBE...
-I want to speed up/remove altogether animations?
-I want to be able to customize button functions (next track - hold volume up, for example)?
-I want to be able to toggle features/see customizable info without opening settings (SBSettings, NCSettings, BatteryDoctorPro, etc)?
-I want to have, lo and behold, widgets?
-I want to be able to place my icons anywhere?
-I want to have a scrolling dock?
-I want to increase icon density?
-I want to use a mouse, for example with a keyboard? Weird, huh? Or maybe a joystick...
-I want to... I'm lazy, this lists enough tweaks: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/03/04/best-ipad-jailbreak-tweaks-apps-ios-6/

And guess what, jailbreaking requires that you spend money on some of those tweaks as well. That just to bring some functionality in that's been available in, just for example, Android, for the past couple of years. Jailbreakers are a cult of non-paying hardcore pirates, huh?

As for the argument like "works just right, so I/you don't need those" - considering the premium that I have to pay for iDevices, I want to be able to do exactly as I please with it. Same with any other hardware I own. Heretical?

You seem to have a twisted thinking that people who disagree with you are twisted. I never said punishment is the right thing, nor wrong. simply a punishment from the people who created the OS. I merely pointed out the method used was wrong.

the same could be argued that if you break a product (software) from its original functionality, the original creator could **** with you the next time you buy another product. is it the right thing to do or the wrong, who the **** knows. we're at a age of where you buy a product, but you don't really own it. so who is to say right or wrong.

now chill the **** out. if you can't respect other's point of view then don't post.

You seem to have a twisted thinking that people who disagree with you are twisted. I never said punishment is the right thing, nor wrong. simply a punishment from the people who created the OS. I merely pointed out the method used was wrong.
"I think if they wanted to go this route and punish the jailbreakers,"
Doesn't seem to imply that it's the people who made the OS (apple's dev team), more like Square Enix/Eidos (doubt it's the latter).

About the method - doesn't make sense to say that a method of punishment is wrong if it's not clear whether you think punishment should be extracted in the first place, especially since the punishment in this case only affects the "guilty" group :)

the same could be argued that if you break a product (software) from its original functionality, the original creator could **** with you the next time you buy another product. is it the right thing to do or the wrong, who the **** knows. we're at a age of where you buy a product, but you don't really own it. so who is to say right or wrong.

now chill the **** out. if you can't respect other's point of view then don't post.

I was quite chill when I posted, just forgot to redact the original post to the full extent when I did so. Therefore, excuse me for some of the rashness. As for respecting the other's POV, I'm simply arguing... Guess I'll need to make a disclaimer :)

As for the other point you made - depends on what you define by " ***** with you". Things should run as advertised, no unstated conditions. Last time I checked, there were some laws against false advertising or something along the lines.

That's better.

I disagree with you on definition of punishment. punishment itself doesn't necessary define right or wrong, it simply is way, method, tool, to "punish". you can punish someone for doing completely the right thing in one country, but while in another country it's completely wrong. especially in this day and age where things aren't as black and white as it used to.

as for "devs ****ing with you", a prime example is steam. if you abide by their terms and condition, all is fine. but in reality, you don't really own the game that you purchase. they could very well take all your purchases away if you break their terms and condition. again, in this digital day and age, intangible products aren't as easily defined in ownership as the old days where you buy a physical product and it's yours. until the legal system mature to a point to define that grey area when it comes to digital, we're gonna have a lot of disgruntle customers.

That's better.

I disagree with you on definition of punishment. punishment itself doesn't necessary define right or wrong, it simply is way, method, tool, to "punish". you can punish someone for doing completely the right thing in one country, but while in another country it's completely wrong. especially in this day and age where things aren't as black and white as it used to.

as for "devs ****ing with you", a prime example is steam. if you abide by their terms and condition, all is fine. but in reality, you don't really own the game that you purchase. they could very well take all your purchases away if you break their terms and condition. again, in this digital day and age, intangible products aren't as easily defined in ownership as the old days where you buy a physical product and it's yours. until the legal system mature to a point to define that grey area when it comes to digital, we're gonna have a lot of disgruntle customers.

My original thought that you meant that punishing jailbreakers is right was based on something like this:
-You mentioned that a certain method of punishment *is not the right way*;
-Therefore, there must be a right way, according to you;
-Therefore, I assumed that you have a stance on the issue, and that this stance is that jailbreakers should be punished, as otherwise there wouldn't be a right way for some entity to punish them, according to you.

Otherwise, I agree with your definition of punishment.

No. that's the thing.. I never said or meant that Punishing Jailbreakers is right. I merely pointed out that the method that was used by them was wrong, or the way they communicated that message. it still doesn't change the fact that you can punish someone for doing completely the right thing. hell years ago I pointed out the problem with the company to my boss and got punished for it. and lets not even get into the things you can do here that are completely right to our standard but will be stoned to death in some other parts of the globe. my personal stance on jailbreaking is neutral, but my personal stance on unlocking is "pro unlocking". the thing is, even false advertisement isn't as black and white anymore with a lot of products today, there're a lot of grey areas when it comes to digital. but that's another can of worms.

No. that's the thing.. I never said or meant that Punishing Jailbreakers is right. I merely pointed out that the method that was used by them was wrong, or the way they communicated that message. it still doesn't change the fact that you can punish someone for doing completely the right thing. hell years ago I pointed out the problem with the company to my boss and got punished for it. and lets not even get into the things you can do here that are completely right to our standard but will be stoned to death in some other parts of the globe. my personal stance on jailbreaking is neutral, but my personal stance on unlocking is "pro unlocking". the thing is, even false advertisement isn't as black and white anymore with a lot of products today, there're a lot of grey areas when it comes to digital. but that's another can of worms.

Just stated how it went in my head :)
I suppose you think that the method was wrong because they didn't state that the game will be, well... effectively crippled on jailbroken devices?

As a sidenote - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9PY_3E3h2c

No I just thought it's very jack *** of them to give you that message on the screen after you bought, install, and started the game.

don't get me started on religion.

No I just thought it's very jack *** of them to give you that message on the screen after you bought, install, and started the game.

don't get me started on religion.

Well, it was what I asked, in different wording.

Otherwise, didn't mean to say anything about religion. Most debates about it turn into a ****storm anyways. Just found it funny. :>

This is a shame. And I don't get the point, the majority of iPhone owners probably do not even think to root. The number of pirates on iOS must be really small. So people who want full control over what they pay for are the digital black sheep.

Although my iPhone is not rooted... I'm not that interested in the game to bother. Maybe if it is on sale for 99 I might bat and eye at it.

Well...looks like the voice is heard. this morning I got an update notification through my phone's itune app for Deus Ex The Fall. and upon inspecting the update log, they removed the firing restriction for "certain devices".

but what I really cared the most is the update apparently improves the Ai reaction time. seriously.. for $6.99. this really is a great game.

Back